I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

centerpin rod
Posted by: Robert Wood (162.252.129.---)
Date: August 17, 2017 10:27AM

I had a guy ask me about a 13'6" 3 or 4 piece medium light center pin rod but I cant really find what I am looking for. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: centerpin rod
Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 17, 2017 10:55AM

What can't you find? There's several good options available at several different price points.

Date: August 17, 2017 01:18PM

Jay McKnight I guess I was asking for recommendations from you guys that have built some of these style rods

Date: August 17, 2017 02:46PM

At that length, and power, I've built blanks by CTS, Raven and Sage in 3-piece. All of them are excellent blanks, just depends on what kind of action you're looking for. NFC and MHX also offer 13'6" 3-piecers, but I have no firsthand knowledge with them. Batson makes a 4-piece 13' that's a nice blank, but a tad heftier than the other offerings. If he's looking for the best bang for his buck, you can't beat Batson's XST 1562F, but he'd have to settle for a 2-piece.

Date: August 17, 2017 03:20PM

Than you Jay that what I needed to know

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 17, 2017 04:09PM

We build a lot on the RainShadow Immortal Spey blanks here for the Pacific Northwest, specifically the IMMF1338 (13’3” 4-piece) - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

But the Rainshadow RX8 XST1563-4 (13’ 4-piece) also makes a great Centerpin rod - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2017 04:09PM by James Taylor.

Date: August 17, 2017 04:25PM

Thank you James Taylor. Here in Wyoming there really isn't a lot of call for a spey or center pin rod that know of so building one of these will be a new adventure for me

Date: August 17, 2017 04:30PM

No problem Robert. Once you pick one just send us a message and we'll send you the blueprint for a Centerpin version of that particular model.
Centerpin is becoming more and more popular here in WA.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 17, 2017 07:21PM

would be my choice
[www.anglersworkshop.com]

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: August 18, 2017 10:27AM

Robert Wood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you James Taylor. Here in Wyoming there
> really isn't a lot of call for a spey or center
> pin rod that know of so building one of these will
> be a new adventure for me

I'm not sure how big your trout get in Wyoming, but most of the blanks I mentioned are appropriate for fish that range from 4-12lbs., and most of them will handle even heavier fish. I've built trout pins on CTS 2-4 and 3-6lb. blanks and the end users say they're flat out incredible. I've also built pins on CTS's DQ spey blanks and I bet a 4-5wt. would make one heck of a big water trout rod. Talk to Herb Ladenheim as he's putting in a bulk order with CTS right now, and it will help out with the shipping. I hope this helps,

Jay.

Date: August 18, 2017 10:58AM

We don't have a complete blueprint for NFC blanks but this is the recommended guide spacing that we received from them.
Float 1363-3 4.50 | 10.00 | 17.00 | 25.50 | 34.50 | 44.50 | 56.00 | 69.00 | 83.00 | 99.00 | 115.00

Matthew Paul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> would be my choice
> [www.anglersworkshop.com]
> /NFC-Float-Blanks-IM-Graphite

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises

Date: August 18, 2017 12:29PM

I am still fairly new to building but I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving. Thank you

Posted by: Mike Beauchamp (---.as13285.net)
Date: August 19, 2017 03:50AM

Hi Robert
I am a new member from England and this is my first post.

Here we fish with floats (bobbers I thjnk you call them) in ponds, lakes and rivers, and it is when fishing rivers we use centrepin reels (many of which are handmade and very expensive) and we have some blank manufacturers who could supply rod blanks specific to your requirements.

From the replies above my understanding is that the line for the rod you wish to build will be 5-8lbs test, and the fish up to 20lbs (please correct me if Im wrong?) so a medium float rod would meet your requirements, if you needed a heavier rod look for something in the Barbel or Carp category.
Such a blank would come in 3 with overfit joints ie. female on the larger lower section and male above.
Checkout. [www.harrisonrods.co.uk] Section 4 Float Rods and Blanks. You can contact this company and speak to the owner concerning specific details and they can even make blanks to your own requirements.

For info; many of our rods are specified in 'Test Curve' weights which is the load in Pounds (lbs) required to bend the tip of the blank 90degrees to the butt with the rod held horizontal.

Please comeback if I can be of assistance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2017 04:03AM by Mike Beauchamp.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster