I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Streamer rod similar to St.Croix Bank Robber
Posted by: Nathaniel Petram (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: August 12, 2017 08:13PM

Hello all, been reading this site for a while first time posting. Like the title says I am looking for a rod for throwing streamers and big bugs to trout here in Colorado. I have used the St. Croix rod and love how it handles. I'm looking for suggestions for a blank that will behave in a similar fashion. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nathan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Streamer rod similar to St.Croix Bank Robber
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2017 01:45AM

What line weight Bank Robber? It's a pretty high modulus blank built for a niche market, hard to beat the price on something like that. St. Croix fly rods are a good value, especially with the increases in prices of other rods we're seeing.

Posted by: Nathaniel Petram (---.natmtn.res.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2017 08:41AM

6 weight. I'd prefer to build one if possible but I get that it's a very purpose built rod. I wouldn't be too disappointed to buy an assembled St. Croix rod though. I've only ever heard good things about their quality.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2017 12:31PM

I only messed with one of the 7 wt. Bank Robbers for a bit over an hour, and I didn't have the rod in mind there to refresh my memory, but about a month later I got to fish a 9 1/2 ft, old design, 3 pc. G Loomis IMX that I thought was similar, the 9 ft. rods were similar. Weight, modulus, everything like that is not the same, but how it fished, and carried a bit more open loop for weighted flies and sink tip lines without me having to change my casting style is what I'm talking about. Around 1994 when the GLX series came out they soon changed all the others to that design and still do to this day. Another standout though only two piece series for a short while, the 9 ft. 9 in. GL3 in a 5. 6. 7. and 8 weight that were of the older philosophy I thought, they didn't last long. but I knew a lot of people and guides that liked the 5 and 8 weights a lot.
The old design if you used the Common Sense system on them, weren't particularly powerful in their weight class like many of the cannons of today, to me they had good reserve power in the butt, a stiffer tip and did most of the work in the remaining middle part of the blank. I CC'd a few and they were in the low to mid 60's as far as action angle goes if I remember right.
Called some buddies that do more streamer fishing than I do, they had some good info and advise, unfortunately none of their choices can be bought in blank form any longer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 11:17PM by Spencer Phipps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster