I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Running guides for 60-100 pound leader
Posted by: Scott Lamb (172.11.207.---)
Date: August 09, 2017 08:45PM

I'm building a 8 foot acid wrapped 50-80 pound jigging rod (UC Wahoo). I will likely use 100 pound spectra main line with 10-20 feet of 60-100 pound flouro or mono leader. Connecting knots will be PR knots, FG knot, or a windon leader. Reel will likely be Saltiga 50 (star drag) but I may switch to a newer lever drag reel with similar height but maybe slightly more narrow spool. Casting will actually be underhand pitches using 6-10 ounce jigs. I made a similar build as my first rod and used size 10 fuji ICMNSG running guides. It casted/pitched poorly and I think larger running guides will be the answer. Would you recommend size 12 or 16? I will probably go with ICMNSGs again but will consider AT titanium Virtus Heavy.

Thanks, Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 08:46PM by Scott Lamb.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Running guides for 60-100 pound leader
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 09, 2017 10:53PM

were the joining knots the problem casting or was it casting technique ??
I toss swim baits and jerk baits as much as 18 ounces and I do use bait suckers up to 2 lb on a quick strike rig for muskies and because I can stand on the bow of the boat and use a golf type swing and don't have a problem tossing either up to 75 ft.. 8 ft rod with ambassadeur blue yonder 7000
you could mice the dia of the knots and figure at least a suitable ring size from there.
to join my leaders to my main lines I have found that a double nail knot works the best as it is the most friendly to pass through the guides and is easy to tie.
I use 80 lb power braid with a 100 lb. flouro leader and never had the joining knots fail.
as fr the guides I have spiral wrapped rods and use # 10 rings for runners and a #10 ring tip top

for your build something along this line would be my choice Fuji HN Heavy Casting & Boat Guides

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 10, 2017 08:20AM

You could also try the "slim beauty knot".

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 10, 2017 02:05PM

Alps HXN's. 10's should work fine.

Posted by: Scott Lamb (172.11.207.---)
Date: August 10, 2017 10:09PM

Great. Thanks. Grant, I will research the Alps HXNs. They are 3x as heavy as the MXN. I know nothing about their rings, Any good links about them? Maybe I don't cast this type of set up well. I can cast most rods/reels very well, but I find it difficult to always find enough room to load and pitch a fairly stiff 8 foot rod. Also, the first rod had the stripper only 20.5 inches from the spool. I am going to change that and see how 25 or so inches works out. Any tips on how to secure the guides well enough to try some casts/pitches with 6-8 ounce jigs before wrapping?. I will check out the knots others have mentioned.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2017 10:37PM

I am more used to surf rods using up to 80lb mono shock leaders, have 10 runners and tip on mine and it cast well. Granted this is done with much more power than underhand pitching. If I was using 100lb leader I would go up to size 12s, the weight difference is very little between the two on a surf rod and certainly on a 50-80lb jigging rod.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2017 11:19AM

Really can't imagine the 10s not being large enough, but I'd suggest taping on some 12s and giving it a few tosses. If that doesn't work I would look at either the reel (shouldn't be the issue with that Saltiga) or the technique.

I use 12 rings when building heavy trolling rigs. Plenty of room for leaders much larger than you're using. I wouldn't think you'd want to go any larger.

Posted by: Grant Darby (184.67.134.---)
Date: August 12, 2017 12:27AM

Inserts are zirconium or an aluminium oxide. Either would work for you, choice depends on your budget. Excellent guides.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2017 12:38PM

Multiple wraps of masking tape on the guide feet will hold up under what you're doing. Have caught steelhead on a 2 turn tape wrapped rod.

Posted by: Scott Lamb (---.neo.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2017 08:39PM

Thanks for all the great advice! I have been researching the Alps guides and they look very nice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster