I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guides wrapped on th ferrule
Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 10, 2017 08:53AM

I have been reading some articles about the pros and cons of wrapping guides at each joint of a fishing rod. Most say it's not a good idea. Is it the stress the guide puts on the joint. I've been putting guides there simply because it looks better than wrapping some thread at the joint and then moving an inch or so then wrapping the guide on. It just seems extra thread in a small area. Also, is anyone familiar with Bob Brunsells' writings concerning th number of guides and guide sizes used in fly rod building.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guides wrapped on th ferrule
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 10, 2017 10:35AM

Actually, putting guides on the ferrules reduces stress at the joints because the greatest area of stress will always be directly between any pair of guides.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 10, 2017 11:51AM

I have no problems with putting a guide on the ferrule. The only problem I have seen is people using the ferrule guide as a handle for twisting the tip section on and off. The mechanical advantage gained by doing this can cause enhanced twisting forces that can loosen the guide and at the worst crack the blank.if not careful.
Norm

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 10, 2017 12:13PM

Robert: What Tom K said, to which I would add be certain when a guide needs to be at or near the butt end of a female ferrule (or the shoulder end of a male spigot ferrule, be certain the wrap length is 1 1/2 to twice the OD of the ferrule. It might look odd, but you really need to serve two masters - reinforce the ferrule and place guides at the optimum locations determined by load testing.

Am not familiar with Mt. Brunsell, but think there are two general themes with multiple variations where one camp favors more and smaller guides and the other favors fewer and larger guides. I've tried both and frankly can detect no significant advantage or disadvantage. What is probably more important is guide location confirmed by load testing and the ease of rigging a rod and guide ability to pass knots. Said another way, if the guides make for easy rigging and knot passage then anything larger is unnecessary weight.

Date: August 10, 2017 12:50PM

The proper size and number of guides is always better than too many and too large, or too few and too small, or any other combination you can make.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 10, 2017 01:14PM

2 things # 1 most of the new [ A LOT ] of the multi section rods to day get a guide put on or near the ferrule
# 2 wrap ing the ferrule, lots of the makers say you don't have to wrap it , but a lot of the builders on this forum still do as"' I "" do, it is a little insurance that I like,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: August 10, 2017 02:04PM

ferrule wraps are going the way of underwraps and spine worries.lol.

Date: August 10, 2017 02:39PM

A few blank makers still recommend that the ferrules on their rods be wrapped/reinforced. It would be nice if they would include that information on the blank header card. A few used to do that.

Date: August 10, 2017 02:50PM

hi tom ..i would like to know who those few are so i can avoid their rods.lol.

Date: August 10, 2017 02:52PM

We listed them in an earlier issue of RodMaker in one of the ferrule articles. I'd have to look it up to see which ones still recommend wrapping the ferrule.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 10, 2017 04:35PM

Exactly what objective results - versus theoretical benefits - determine the best guide placements for guide-on-top rods and guide-on-bottom rods?

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 10, 2017 04:46PM

none the less a ferrule wrap isn't a big deal yes it does help the integrity of the connection of the blank sections where everyone seems to get the shorts in a bunch is the size of the wrap and think it has to cover the entire ferrule but that isn't necessary if a guide foot lands there so much better just wrap it as normal and continue if not just do a 1/4 to 1/2 inch trim band this gives a little added bling to a rod build and better joint integrity . it can also serve for a feather in lay base again the bling decoration.
So don't sweat the little things and make a show piece rod for your self or a customer!!!

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 10, 2017 07:19PM

What I have read is all good. I'll continue to wrap guides on the ferules. I build on the less expensive import blanks and spine them very carefully
To get as much as I can from them. Thanks again.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 11, 2017 11:30AM

Hello Robert & Tom.

There are 2 articles that I can find (V-11 / Issue-4 / Page-16 & V-18 / Issue-4 / Page-22, the second one having the better list.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: August 11, 2017 12:31PM

instead of ferrule raps use the thread and e-poxy to add another guide or two .

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 12, 2017 01:37PM

Does a certain guide spacing and position result in better accuracy, longer casts, or better fish fighting qualities? I can't believe one particular arrangement would be best for everything!

Date: August 12, 2017 05:43PM

the way i see it your going to need enough guides, enough space between the guides,and enough size to the guides.lol.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 19, 2017 12:41AM

All interesting and informative replies. Thanks to all.
Norman, I have been trying to contact you personally but cannot. Please email me.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 19, 2017 04:25PM

Mark, email sent.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster