I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Re-setting guides over an underwrap
Posted by: Drew Klein (74.10.173.---)
Date: August 09, 2017 01:31PM

Another question as I build my first off shore rod. I'm going to put on the underwrap tonight after finding the perfect placement for the guides last night. Does anyone have any tips for me as I put on the underwrap to mark exactly where I have the markings now for the placement of the guides? My wife, a quilter, has a water soluble pen she uses for marking fabrics, anyone tried that? I've also considered inserting a single thread at the point where I want the guide to sit that I could trim out afterwards.

Thanks,

Drew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Re-setting guides over an underwrap
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 09, 2017 01:39PM

Hello Drew.

You could make a cardboard or paper pattern before covering it up, or just write down the measurements and after the under wrap dries re-mark it.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 09, 2017 02:43PM

do your under wraps and divide them in half and the guide ring centers there proceed to do the guide feet and finish

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Scott Lamb (172.11.207.---)
Date: August 09, 2017 02:52PM

I usually mark the outside borders with 1/8 inch thick masking tape so I know exactly where to start and finish the wrap. Make sure the tape remains perpendicular to the rod. Double check the size with a digital caliper. I also don't like my underwraps to be too long. Remember that guides usually are not symmetric and take this into consideration if you are wrapping contrast bands in the middle of your guide underwrap. I usually use my digital caliper to determine where to start and stop any central contrast bands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 02:54PM by Scott Lamb.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 09, 2017 02:57PM

A bit of math works. First measure the guide's feet from toe to toe. Add to that measurement the length of guide over wrap you plan beyond each guide toe. For the purposes of this example let's assume the toe to to is 2" and the over wrap will be 1/8" at each toe, so the overall over wrap length will be 2 1/4". Let's also assume you desire for the under wrap to extend 1/8" beyond the end of each over wrap. The total length of the under wrap would be 2 1/2", and you would begin the under wrap 1 1/4" from the center point of the temporarily pre-positioned guide. (Forward and rear feet are not always the same length, so be certain to mark and measure from the center of the guide.)

Robert G's suggestion of a paper pattern is a great way to prove to yourself a few simple measurements and simple math will work.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 09, 2017 03:10PM

You have already marked where you want your guides to go, just place your guide ring over the mark and place a mark at the end of each foot to indicate where you want your wraps to begin and end.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2017 03:50PM

Drew,
Get a tape measure.
Put one end of the tape measure on the tip of the rod.

Then, making all measurements from the nonmoving tape, measure to the ring on each guide and write it down on a notebook.

Do your underwraps, and put on a coating of thread coating epoxy. Let the epoxy dry for a couple of days and then, using your measurements tape the guides back on the rod and wrap the guides. I never like to put any marks at all on the blank with anything.

Good luck

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 09, 2017 09:04PM

I eyeball it. For trim wraps that are centered perpendicular to the eye of the guide, I just use a 1/8' piece of tape to mark where the wrap begins. I like Norman's suggestion of marking he thread at the base of the guide feet. Much more complicated than that and the fun starts to diminish, for me at least.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: August 09, 2017 10:46PM

You know were the guide ring is going to sit, tape the guide in place. Then use a point to scratch a line top of the blank indicating ring placement. Now choose a constant (I use a 1/4 inch wide steel ruler) laid flat against the tip of the guide foot and scratch a line on the blank to mark outside the edge of the ruler. This way all my under wraps will automatically size themselves consistently to the guide foot length and fall. Want longer under wraps, use a wider constant. Most of the time I employ an exacto knife point turned backward and draw the point for the little scribe mark. Have trouble seeing it, hit it with a china marker (white) and rub off the excess with a paper towel, that should leave small white mark easy to spot easy to cover with a single turn of thread.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2017 02:56PM

Robert A. Guist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Drew.
>
> You could make a cardboard or paper pattern before
> covering it up,

This exactly. First, always keep a log book with all of your measurements. Once I have the numerical measurement for a guide written down I like to make a template right there in the log. Simple hash marks where every wrap & the guide feet should sit...AND the center point. Then to make a template you can either measure out and mark a card...or just put the template card over the marks you left in the log book for that guide & transfer them.

Then it's as easy as matching up the center point on the blank & the card...place the guide, mark the wrap start/stop points, & get to work.

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (138.162.0.---)
Date: August 15, 2017 07:47AM

I use index cards for all of my guide wrap measurements. I simply make a center mark on all of the four sides of the card that indicates the middle of that guide then place the guide on the edge of the card and make another set of marks indicating the under wrap length, trim wrap length, etc. I write the guide type and size under my marks along with any other info such as guide spacing for that particular rod. If you use both sides of the card you can list eight different guide sizes on the same card. Once you get all of the info recorded it's just a matter of pulling the card and marking the blank (I use a white china marker) then wrap away. I must have thirty different cards currently, and the time saved is worth the initial effort setting up your index list. When you use a new type of guide you just make a new card.

Posted by: Drew Klein (---.cpe.townisp.com)
Date: August 17, 2017 10:13AM

This has been a very helpful thread, thanks everyone. I think this rod came out really well and the tips here made it a lot easier than if I had been making it up through trial and error on my own.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster