I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Abalone Veneer weight and stiffness
Posted by: Scott Lamb (172.11.207.---)
Date: August 09, 2017 01:45AM

I have never used this but I would think it would look real nice on a custom build. I am building an acid wrapped United Composites Wahoo 8' jigging rod and was thinking about using an abalone veneer to dress up the rod above the upper grip. Its a 50-80 pound Moderate to slow action rod blank and yes, it can definitely be bottomed out for what it will be used for. Looks easy enough to use but wonder how heavy and stiff the material is or if it really matters this low on the blank. Do people like it? Is it recommended for 20-40 pound build which I may do next.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 01:47AM by Scott Lamb.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abalone Veneer weight and stiffness
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2017 06:27PM

It's not heavy, it's very thin, and if you think about it your installing it in a tight tube shape around the blank, a much tighter bend than the rod will ever experience while fishing. Mudhole used to have a video on installing the product, it may be available still.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 07:58PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 09, 2017 06:58PM

I have still not mastered abalone. It may be me, and it may be variations in its quality/characteristics. I did two rods with it, very beautiful, very nice, then tried a third and didn't salvage a square inch of the abalone. It was so brittle, even using what I thought were the proper techniques, that it was a total waste. The successful rods were natural pau (or whatever it's called), and angel wing blue, the failure white angel wing. Not sure if angel wing and the other style are different or not.

Bottom line? It is beautiful and worth a try, but don't be surprised if you waste a few bucks.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 09, 2017 10:18PM

Depends on your abalone. Some are thick and require treating before a wrap, some are as thin as tissue paper and need a thread underwrap to pop the colors. The thin type is easier to work with and the color selection of the thicker stuff is beautiful. On both of your build plans I wouldn't even begin to worry about weight of the veneer. Buy extra sheets, there is a learning curve to both types.

Posted by: Bruno Giuliari (12.10.199.---)
Date: August 10, 2017 03:26PM

I use it quite often weight and stiffness Is not an issue. I make a template out is a plain index card. I wrap the card around the blank just overlapping a bit. I cut the abalone with an razor to size. I then boil it in water until the adhesive side darkens, then peal and wrap on the blank. Then overwrap the abalone with size d thread and let it dry for a few hours. The hardest part is making sure it goes on straight. Looks awesome when done.

Posted by: Scott Lamb (172.11.207.---)
Date: August 10, 2017 10:09PM

Great. Thanks everyone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster