I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Chucking odd items
Posted by: Rick Provencher (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: August 06, 2017 06:03PM

I saw a recent post about thread art on different items and so as not to hi-jack the thread I am starting a new one. I love the wine glasses that were done in the Photo section and was wondering how I could chuck a glass to use to apply the epoxy finish. I have an 8' rod wrapper w/dryer.

I was thinking a suction cup to suction to the base of the glass and then a rod of some kind to hold in the chuck. I can figure out a holder for the glass section to keep it level, I think, but wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks, Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chucking odd items
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 06, 2017 06:37PM

I glued a dowel to the bottom and removed it after it was cured

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2017 07:15PM

Rick,
Last year, I worked with a fellow who wanted to do factory mass production of glass ware. He wanted to emulate the machine that is shown in the following video at time stamp 1:36 - 2:35.

[www.youtube.com]

I worked out the design and purchase of the motor that he is going to use on the motor. Then, he was using the services of a rubber molding company to make a one of a kind rubber chuck that would fit n the end of the motor shaft and grab and secure the bottom of the stemware for painting.

It all worked out very well.

So, to answer your question, he effectively used a machinist lathe chuck to hold a special rubber chuck that in turn held the glass ware.

Good luck

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: August 07, 2017 08:07AM

Do not overlook the use of a hot glue gun.
I have wooden mandrels and base plates that i chuck up and use hot melt glue to hold pieces on. A good free turning tailstock and you are good to go.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: August 08, 2017 01:55PM

I have heard of people using the devices used to install and remove light bulbs in tall ceilings to hold the glass. Check Home Depot for these.

Personally, I have an ALPS chuck (http://alpsforecast.com/products/tools/alps-chuck-upgraded/) that I modify, by reversing the rubber pads, to clamp the inside of the glass.
I tape two glasses together by their bases. I chuck one glass on the inside of the bowl in my chuck by expanding the chuck. I use a rod support running on the other glass for support. Works for wrapping and epoxy.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster