I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning cork for fit to Aero seat?
Posted by: Eric Green (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2017 01:20PM

Can't seem to find this through search, but probably out there. I'm building a couple inshore spinning rods and want to use the Aero comfort seat. I turn my own grips, but never done one to fit into an odd shaped reel seat, which appears to be the case with the Aero. How do I create the tight fit shoulder/tenon in cork? I know I can buy pre-made, but want to know how to do this myself.

Thanks!

Eric Green

Eric Green

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning cork for fit to Aero seat?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2017 01:55PM

Eric,
I have built many rods using the Aero comfort seat.
A picture with some examples:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Over the years, I have found that for most folks fishing with a typical spinning rod set up seem to prefer a grip diameter of .8-.95 inches.

I have tried many many different rear grip designs. If you look at the picture that is the 3rd grip down from the top in the picture - I have found that this shape seems to make myself as well as most of my clients the most pleased with the rod.
I use this same shape and dimensions whether I am using a full length cork grip, or a split grip. i.e. - the only thing different that I would do for a split grip would be to leave a few inches of cork out of the center rear part of the grip.

When I turn a grip for a Aero reel seat, I will generally start out with the typical 1 1/4 inch cork rings x1/2 inch and a 1/4 inch thick piece of contrasting cork from the butt cap. I ream the cork to be a near perfect fit on the blank before gluing to make the final fitting of the grip easier. Then I glue up the cork to form a solid form. Since I now have a tapered interior of the grip, I will use masking tape arbors on the threaded rod that I use for a mandrel for my lathe. Also, by predrilling the cork, - I can use the largest threaded mandrel possible which also makes it the stiffest mandrel that I can use for the particular grip.

I will start the turning, making a constant diameter grip of a bit over an inch. Then, using a caliper to measure the interior of the end of the Aero grip, I will just sand a reducing angle on the reel seat side of the grip so that the end of the grip will almost fit into the end of the reel seat. Then, I will go ahead and shape the rest of the grip, staying away from the front 1 inch of the grip to avoid reducing the diameter of the grip too much. i sand and shape the butt cap at the same time so that the butt cap is a perfect match to the rest of the grip.

Then, just before doing the final sand down of the rod, I will check and double check the reel seat end of the grip and the inside size of the reel seat and gradually reduce the end diameter of the grip so that it i about .020 inch larger than the inside end of the reel seat.

Now, I will remove the grip from the lathe and do the final reaming of the grip to get a perfect match on the rod blank at the point of installation. I double check the fit of the grip into the reel seat so that I effectively have a press fit of the grip into the reel seat, with the contour of the grip following the hump on the Aero seat so that you get a perfect palm filling hump on the overall grip and reel seat to give you excellent Day long fishing comfort.

The grip is finished. But, there is now a hole in the end of the butt cap that is effectively the same size as the butt end of the blank. I use a plug cutting bit in my drill press to drill a few plugs of matching cork to the butt cap and form a plug for the hole in the end of the grip. Then, I use my belt or disk sander to taper the plug so that the plug can be pressed into the end of the grip for a perfect fit. As the grip is glued to the blank, with the butt cap part of the grip extending out past the end of the blank, I will also glue in the butt cap plug at the same time. After the glue is dry, I then, use my disk sander and my cross lock vise to sand the plug down flush with the butt cap for a perfect grip with no extra shaping required.

This picture is my dedicated disk sander with a cross vise mounted to the sander base to secure the rods at 90 degrees to the length of the rod. This allows me to quickly complete a final sand of the butt cap plug on the end of the cork grip and not have it out of true with respect to the rest of the grip.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2017 02:11PM

If you use the 17 mm version std. diameter store grips slip right in the deep pocket, no tenon, or anything else needed. I know you make your own, but now you know what diameter works.

Posted by: Eric Green (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2017 02:17PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I now see no need for a tenon, just a snug fit into the back of the seat. Thanks for taking the time Roger, very informative.

Eric Green

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster