I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Has anyone tried the new Glow Wrap?
Posted by: Paul Wood (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2017 08:34PM

I do a lot of night fishing for cats...just wondering if anyone has tried this yet, and if it'll replace a glow stick?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Has anyone tried the new Glow Wrap?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2017 01:07AM

If it's like the other glow threads it last about 45 minutes of so, than needs recharged.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2017 06:14AM

Paul,
If you want a really slick night fishing rods for cat fish, use a hollow fiberglass blank and then put a light and a battery in the butt of the rod blank.

The light will run up along the inside of the blank causing the blank to glow softly. However, when you get a bite, the rod will begin to bend and suddenly you will see the light dancing along the blank up and down in concert with the bends in the blank.

There was a rod builder in Idaho who was purchasing blanks from California and then adding the blank butt lighting. I have one of his blanks and it built up into a wonderful rod that I use for night fishing all of the time. In addition, the rod is heavy enough that it also makes the perfect sturgeon rod.

The cap for the battery case is the butt cap on the rod. As a result, I turn the butt cap counter clockwise to turn off the light, and turn it clockwise to turn off the light. Because I am not sure of the potential time interval between outings with this particular rod, I always remove the batteries from the rod when ever the rod is placed in storage. That way, if the non use happens to get extended, I don't have to worry about inside the blank battery case damage due to a leaky battery that can happen with any dry cell battery.

It is a very slick way to make an outstanding night fishing rod. Give it a try.

You just have to purchase a translucent blank through light will shine. Find one with the right action and power and you are off to making your own night fishing rod.

Good luck

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 06, 2017 09:26AM

nothing much glows for hours other than a stick light I have tried several different things and it has been the 1 hour mark at best for any thing to glow I even took the powder paint for jigs and mixed it in to finish and has a 6 inch tip coat and it to only glowed for about an hour, it seems the colder the temp the less time it glows.
Rodger s rod with the light inside is about the best think to be found if you want to invest the time and parts to make a night fishing rod that keeps on glowing.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 06, 2017 09:43AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Paul,
> If you want a really slick night fishing rods for
> cat fish, use a hollow fiberglass blank and then
> put a light and a battery in the butt of the rod
> blank.
>
> The light will run up along the inside of the
> blank causing the blank to glow softly. However,
> when you get a bite, the rod will begin to bend
> and suddenly you will see the light dancing along
> the blank up and down in concert with the bends
> in the blank.
> There was a rod builder in Idaho who was
> purchasing blanks from California and then adding
> the blank butt lighting. I have one of his blanks
> and it built up into a wonderful rod that I use
> for night fishing all of the time. In addition,
> the rod is heavy enough that it also makes the
> perfect sturgeon rod.
>
> The cap for the battery case is the butt cap on
> the rod. As a result, I turn the butt cap counter
> clockwise to turn off the light, and turn it
> clockwise to turn off the light. Because I am
> not sure of the potential time interval between
> outings with this particular rod, I always remove
> the batteries from the rod when ever the rod is
> placed in storage. That way, if the non use
> happens to get extended, I don't have to worry
> about inside the blank battery case damage due to
> a leaky battery that can happen with any dry cell
> battery.
>
> It is a very slick way to make an outstanding
> night fishing rod. Give it a try.
>
> You just have to purchase a translucent blank
> through light will shine. Find one with the right
> action and power and you are off to making your
> own night fishing rod.
>
> Good luck

Roger that really sounds cool. Can you give a little more detail on how and what type of light so you put in the butt.

Thanks
Tom

Posted by: joseph karow (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 06, 2017 11:54AM

Plus 2 , please more info on light bulb assembly. joe

Posted by: joseph karow (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 06, 2017 11:54AM

Plus 2 , please more info on light bulb assembly. joe

Date: August 06, 2017 02:02PM

Since this rod was made a few years ago, the light is a simple 1.5 volt flash light bulb. The battery is a 1.5 volt AA battery.

I purchased the blank from the builder in Idaho, but I believe that he simply used the equivalent of a pen light flash light - such that the twist tightening end of the flash light forms the on/off switch for the light. Then, the pen light was simply glued into the end of the blank.

If I was doing it today, I would do the same thing, except I would use an LED light since the LED light would be much brighter with much lower current consumption.

Since it has always worked for me, I have never dug into the interior of the blank but I believe that the glued in pen light would be the overall design of the light.

I would guess that a current model led pen light similar to this one would work just fine:

[www.batteryjunction.com]

The diameter of the light is .5 inches which would be about right to fit into the end of the blank that I use for this style night fishing.

But again, due to potential battery leakage over a long time, I would make a point to remove the battery for periods of long rod storage to avoid damage to the case of the light.

Take care

p.s.
I suspect that it might take a bit to locate a transparent or translucent fiberglass blank on which to build such a rod. A couple of searches:

[www.google.com]

[www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2017 02:10PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 06, 2017 04:39PM

Thanks for the info Roger

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2017 04:43PM

Look back in the early years here and the gentleman in question left quite a bit of info. Don't remember his name, sorry. Use the search function.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: August 06, 2017 06:21PM

A 12 volt blacklight would do the trick on almost any thread. Just set it behind your rods or in front of them. Would work from land or a boat.

Posted by: Victor Heal (107.77.253.---)
Date: August 07, 2017 08:09AM

Wylie Wiggins was the gentleman's name I believe.

Date: August 07, 2017 03:25PM

Victor,
Yes, you are correct. Wylie was the man.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster