I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat glue besides e-poxy
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: August 04, 2017 12:50PM

hi all, i have heard that some rodbuilders use gorilla glue to attach their reel seats..if so, will boiling water break the bond at some later date to remove the seat..are their other glues for reel seats..what do bamboo builders use..thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat glue besides e-poxy
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 04, 2017 06:21PM

I use the paste epoxy marketed for rod building on all rods, including bamboo. Epoxy adhesives formulated for rod building, such as ProPaste, Rod Bond, etc., are strong, easy to use, and not expensive.

A variety of adhesives would probably work, but the Gorilla poly stuff would be on the bottom of my list because it expands as it cures and I really do not want to fight the adhesive oozing out into places adhesive ought not be.

Some adhesives and glues do lose their bond with heat, usually around 220 degrees.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 04, 2017 06:58PM

any one of the rod building epoxies work just fine.
as for using gorilla glue not on a seat as it is water activated and works well for foam grips other it could make a mess that is hard to clean up.
if the seat is metal you could use a heat gun or hair dryer to remove an epoxied seat not so much on plastic

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 04, 2017 07:22PM

I'm guessing that your aim is to be able to remove the seat at a later date if the need should arise. That's not going to be an easy thing to do with any good adhesive and assembly technique - which are intended to give you a permanent bond. If a rod should break and you want to remove the seat, this is possible by cutting and boring the seat/insert out.

Date: August 04, 2017 07:35PM

thanks Don and Matthew..does any remember the old Herters rod building kits over 50 years ago. no e-poxy. guide wraps were painted with laquer then varnished..i don,t remember what glue was used on the cork rings or the reel seat..does anyone remember..thanks.

Date: August 04, 2017 07:43PM

hi Tom..yes, i don,t want permanent bonds..i want bonds that are easy to break down and clean up and parts to be reusable..i may be asking for too much..not the first time. lol.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2017 08:12PM

Urea and phenol formaldehyde glues were the glues most used when animal hide glues fell out of favor. If you don't want permanence build everything to an interference fit and see if it will hold up.
Been many years, but if I remember right my mentor told me these glues and the work had to be at the correct temperatures to give the best bond, he never used them again after epoxy came out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2017 09:26PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 04, 2017 08:46PM

ben belote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hi Tom..yes, i don,t want permanent bonds..i want
> bonds that are easy to break down and clean up and
> parts to be reusable..i may be asking for too
> much..not the first time. lol.

The easier those bonds are to "break down" the more likely that you'll have a rod fail on you in use. Since you asked, many rods have been built with hot-melt type adhesives over the years. They were indeed easy to "break down" and reuse parts. They were also the reason that most builders moved to epoxy.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 04, 2017 08:57PM

Most epoxies will break down when heat is applied, fast cure epoxies more so than slow cure epoxies. Many rod builders will use 5 min epoxy for installing tip tops because it will easily break down when heated so the tip tops can be replaced. If you want a reel seat that can be removed relatively easy at a later date, try using 5 min epoxy, with masking tape arbors. I do not use 5 min epoxy but it might work for what you want. Could also use hot melt tip top cement. Many years ago it was used by some for installing both metal reel seats and metal ferrules, in fact it used to be called ferrule cement. Experiment with an old reel seat and a piece of blank to see if it works for you.
Norm

Date: August 04, 2017 09:15PM

ok! everybody thanks for the many ideas..

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2017 01:53PM

ben belote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks Don and Matthew..does any remember the old
> Herters rod building kits over 50 years ago. no
> e-poxy. guide wraps were painted with laquer then
> varnished..i don,t remember what glue was used on
> the cork rings or the reel seat..does anyone
> remember..thanks.
Today's History lesson on rod building back from the late 50's early 60's

Yes I do it was either the gudebrod rod cement small bottle with a red and black label and was like snot as my mentor back then called it lol or it was wood glue for the cork and either the rod cement or contact cement like pilobond and because those weren't all that good there was a lot of failures resulting loose reel seats .
as for the wraps they used lacquer based fingernail polish in colors and then coated them with marine spar varnish 3-5 coats to get the high gloss.
then there were the purists fly fishermen that had to have bamboo rods they were a whole different critter to build the cork was glued with wood glue and seat and ferrules were attached with refined rosin tar pitch blend that was the first hot glue peruse.
I am dating my self with this history lol

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2017 02:04PM by Matthew Paul.

Date: August 05, 2017 03:00PM

great! thanks Matthew..good stuff..when you say wood glue you mean nitro-celluose i assume? thanks again.

Date: August 05, 2017 04:17PM

nope..i just checked. wood glue is usually poly-vinyl acetate, like in elmers glue.

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 07, 2017 09:06AM

For reel seats, I would use nothing but epoxy, and never the weak 5 minute type. Reel seats can never be fastened too solidly, IMO, just like you can never be too rich or too skinny.

Date: August 07, 2017 12:00PM

thanks philip..i,m going to stay with e-poxy but use much shorter urethane arbors that should be easier to cut through with a sharpened brass tube..the only i have to figure is how short i can go with arbors..i,m going to start with 1/2" arbors at each end of the dps seat..that should get lots of laughs.lol.

Date: August 07, 2017 01:49PM

I have removed several reel seats from broken rods with polyurethane foam reel seat arbors by using cork borers. Cork borers are simply sharpened metal tubes that come in a variety of sizes; very handy tools to have. Length of the arbor should not be an issue.
Norm

Date: August 07, 2017 02:34PM

hi norman..yes, i have used sharpened brass tubes in the past but the would bind up quickly..that,s when the different glue idea came up..now i,m thinking of shorter arbors which should be easier to cut through..i did not know about cork borers..would someone like lowes have them..thanks for the idea Norman.

Date: August 07, 2017 03:19PM

I have several complete sets or cork borers that I have had for about 40 years. They are usually sold by science supply stores, but not by hardware stores. If you google the term cork borers you will a number of sources some more expensive then others. My cork borers range in sizes from 3 mm to 25 mm, and just about every bore size in between (about 1/8" to 1"). You can get small bore sets, intermediate bore sets and large bore sets, can also get complete sets. Hope this helps.
[en.m.wikipedia.org]
[www.amazon.com]
Norm

Date: August 07, 2017 05:47PM

hi Norman..i,m going to give them a try..thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster