I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Off shore rod handle arbor?
Posted by: Drew Klein (---.cpe.townisp.com)
Date: August 03, 2017 09:37PM

I'm building my first off shore rod. The mudhole kit came with a slick butt handle and the hard plastic handle is wider than the blank. I assume I would build up an arbor with tape to center it as I would with a reel seat on a bass rod and then full coverage of epoxy, right?. Would the same be true for the Gimbal? Is that right and any other tips are welcome.

Thanks
Drew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off shore rod handle arbor?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2017 10:07PM

I would tend to shy away from tape unless the mismatch is very slight. A few wraps of tape at most. Beyond that, drywall tape with gel epoxy or some type of cork or brick foam arbors. Same for the gimbal.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 03, 2017 10:57PM

to do it so it is rock solid you need to take your time and use the drywall screen tape make a partial arbor and gel epoxy the heck out of it press it in to the cavities and let it cure and then go back build the final arbor and gel epoxy it heavily and again press it in to the cavities place your handle let it cure and do the same process for the gimbal and it will be as strong a bond you can get

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2017 10:59PM by Matthew Paul.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 03, 2017 11:34PM

Tack the leading edge of drywall tape to the blank using super glue. This will hold the dry wall tape in place so when you apply the epoxy the tape will stay in place and not slide around. Wrap the tape on the blank to the thickness you need, then unwrap it and then start applying the epoxy as you tightly rewrap the tape. This make sure all of the holes in the tape are completely filled. Slip on the handle/gimbal and are you good to go. This gives a rock solid arbor that will not fail.
Norm

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2017 01:28AM

Matthew Paul I LIKE that system! Thank You

Easier to keep half the Thickness tight, than the whole thing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2017 01:29AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Drew Klein (74.10.173.---)
Date: August 04, 2017 08:54AM

This is great advice. Thanks to everyone, I appreciate the input.

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 04, 2017 11:04AM

I second use of the drywall tape, but have a couple variations on the theme based on lessons learned from bitter first hand experience:

1) On the reel seat, I first measure out the tape until it fits nice and snug. Then remove the tape and place it on standby. I then scuff up the blank where the tape is to go on and apply epoxy to the tape every two or three layers as I wind it back on. That way the epoxy permeates through the cloth to create a link between inner surface of reelseat and the blank itself. On an average offshore rod with, say a size 24 reelseat, you'll notice that if you simply apply the drywall tape up to the correct diameter of the reel seat it is entirely possible that you can see no part of the blank underneath. I would not assume that the epoxy you coat on the top will make it down more than a few layers into the cloth. Certainly not far enough to reach the blank itself. Offshore fishing generates tremendous pressures, especially when you are fishing, say a heavy-ish reel loaded with 130- 200 lb braid, pulling 45 lbs of drag. It is foreseeable that the lack of epoxy all the way through the tape arbor will cause the arbor to separate and cause the seat to spin. When it comes to epoxy, I actually use Marine Tex on my rods designed for 80 lb line and up.

2) on the Gimbal, I have had more than one gimbal twist off on an offshore rod, using a drywall tape arbor and rod builder's grade epoxy. I suspect its because the gimbal is at one end of the fulcrum that it takes such stress. For Gimbals on offshore rods I only use the marine tex. .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2017 06:13PM by Philip Engle.

Posted by: Drew Klein (74.10.173.---)
Date: August 07, 2017 01:42PM

Update: I finished the process and it worked well. I think that the epoxy application added to the girth, because the handle fit on the first dry-fit around just the drywall tape, but not after I had rewrapped with epoxy every few layers. It was easy enough to unwind a bit so it fits well now, no big deal.
Thanks again everyone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster