I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Strongest spinning guides available??
Posted by: John Huffman (---.nwcsva.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: August 03, 2017 10:53AM

Hello, I am new to this site and to custom rod building components. I am currently searching for the Strongest/ Best spinning guides available for some unique rods I am having built. I will say up front that every rod builder I have spoken to, including the couple that said they would help me build these rods have said my requests for these rods are extreme overkill, too heavy, not logical and have never built anything close to them making them reluctant to build. That brings me to doing some research on what I want on them. The rods I am having built are starting with 7'-8'6" length with 80-Unlimited saltwater blanks. The first blank is a Calstar Grafighter Tuna Series GF775XXXH. It will be tied into a straight Uni Butt. This rod will be paired with a Penn SSV10500 spooled with 200# Power Pro Line. I often throw rigs/bait up to 1.5- 2 lb. This brings me to the need for the strongest guides made. The guides must be available in up to a size 40 minimal with a 50 being preferred for my reels. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Strongest spinning guides available??
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2017 11:21AM

John,
Your request for the strongest guide can make some sense. However, there are many many different guides on the market that will do the job for you including most of the "boat guides" on the market.

Good luck

Date: August 03, 2017 11:37AM

I have looked at several types of boat guides but none I have found go to a large enough diameter. It seems that most stop at 25mm. I must start with at least a 40mm to account for the 3.5" spool diameter of my reels. These rods will be used for casting heavy weight from shore, piers and boat. I have looked at the Fuji KWSG which is available in up to 50mm. I have also been recommended the Fuji ICMNSG guides which go to 40mm. If anyone knows which of these two would be better or if another manufacture build something superior I welcome the input.

Posted by: Brett Hinson (---.nbrncmtk01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 03, 2017 11:51AM

You should trust your Rod Builder, they have the knowledge to build what you want.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 03, 2017 12:22PM

from what you say you want strong ? yes but you talk about large what do you want STRONGEST or LARGEST ?? [BIGGEST]

William Sidney
AK

Date: August 03, 2017 12:32PM

The builder I am working with on the two rods I am searching for parts for doesn't have the years of saltwater rod experience that a lot of guys have. He does however turn out some of the most impressive looking bass and muskie rods I have seen. He builds rods as a hobby and builds for very few people due to his day to day job. I chose to have him build these two rods due to the incredible detail and wrapping design he has done on rods for a couple muskie guys I know that introduced me to him. He basically builds rods at the cost of materials for now. Hopefully that explains my research into this.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.opg.com)
Date: August 03, 2017 12:39PM

I would take a look at the AMERICAN TACKLE MICROWAVE 50 SPINNING GUIDE SET-DURALITE . These guides will do the job for you and you gain the results of the microwave system.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Date: August 03, 2017 01:09PM

What I need is guides that are available in 40-50mm diameter that will hold up to heavy braid and will withstand the heavy casting. The strength of the guide is my concern.

Date: August 03, 2017 01:12PM

Rolly,
Thanks for the recommendation. I will look them up.

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: August 03, 2017 01:13PM

American Tackle Virtus Heavy goes up to 40mm.

MW 50's
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.opg.com)
Date: August 03, 2017 02:03PM

These work very well on carp and surf rods.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: August 03, 2017 02:16PM

I would take a close look at the American Tackle Virtus Heavy guides... super strong and all around a great guide

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 07, 2017 06:25PM

John, you might check Alan Hawk's review of that reel before you move forward.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 07, 2017 06:48PM

Is that review on this site? What is it listed under? I have had great luck with Penn reels.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster