I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A few more surf rod questions before I begin
Posted by: Paul Wood (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2017 10:58PM

I posted a question a few weeks ago concerning surf rod blanks for a first timer, and after much consideration, have settled on a 11', MH blank (St. Croix 3SRS110MHF2 ). This is going to be a spinning rod (the reel I'll be using is an Okuma ABF-65). Reel seat and handle materials are pretty standard, and after much research, I'm thinking the center of my reel seat is going to be around 28" from the butt, give or take an inch or two once I feel it in my hands (feel free to chime in on this one as well). I'm stuck on guide size and approximate spacing. Ring size vs. frame height, material, quantity...I'm overwhelmed by the contradictions I've found, understanding of course that everyone has a preference. I had hoped to post a confirming question with the results of my own research, but... As always, any help would be appreciated!!!
One last question. This is the first 2-piece rod I've built-should I be considering ferrules?
Again, thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A few more surf rod questions before I begin
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 03, 2017 12:11AM

it is a 2 piece rod all ready you only need to wrap the female end that would be the tip section about 2 inches or so depending on how much bling your putting in to your wraps.
I will let the guide help to the others as they have built the full spectrum of surf rods
you might want to consider posting if your going to use mono or braid that will help with the guide train and sizing of them!

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: August 03, 2017 06:04AM

I'll be using mono. Also, this rod will not be used often, so salt water corrosion really shouldn't play a huge factor (this will mostly be a vacation rod until I retire in 20 years!)
Thanks

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 03, 2017 10:37AM

Last one I did very similiar to that one, I used the MicroWave 30 set on, and the customer was very well pleased with it

Ron Weber

Posted by: Bill Theobald (104.129.194.---)
Date: August 04, 2017 01:50PM

I recently built my first Surf Rod (second overall) so take this with a grain if salt. I used the Rod Geeks SRF110C3 which is MH MF & M M, comes with one butt section an two tips. I was using the MH/MF section with the following guides.

Fuji KWSG 30J, 20J, 12J & 8J(3). I used the rod at the Cape Cod Canal and it cast well and was able to handle fish up to 30#s in a strong current. I was definitely happy with my build, now to build the other tip section. I even let one of my friends cast with it and he was somewhat impressed, which is saying something given his experience level and knowledge of fishing.

Only comment I got was from someone (another builder) who said I was brave from not using under wraps. In hind sight I guess I should have put underwraps on, but my lack of experience in building and the fact none of my other surf rods have underwraps made me think it wasn't worth it. (Come to think of it - I'll start a new thread).

Good luck and have fun.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2017 05:21PM

Paul,

Angler's Resource (left panel) has great on-line software to help you choose the appropriate guides and determine spacing. It also provides the size of guides that should be used for your desired reel. I have found the folks to be both knowledgeable and helpful.

Matthew,

There has been a lot of reference to a relatively short wrap on the female ferrule. While this is probably good for most rods, Paul is building an 11 ft medium heavy rod with a 28 inch handle. This would indicate a need to better strengthen the ferrule. The best option would be follow the recommendations from St. Croix. My preference is to follow the Hawaii standard and do a full wrap of the ferrule's length. Putting a wrap only at the opening of the ferrule does not stop the male end of the ferrule from breaking through the rod. The occurrence of this type of break has lessened when moving from fiberglass to graphite construction. Another method of helping the ferrule is to land a guide on or near the ferrule.

Don Becker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2017 11:19PM by Donald Becker.

Date: August 05, 2017 08:31PM

Thanks for the input, guys!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster