I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

POST OFFICE GORILLA'S
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2017 02:41AM

Built this for my Great Grandson, Pictures tell that Story

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2017 02:42AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: POST OFFICE GORILLA'S
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (172.58.56.---)
Date: August 02, 2017 03:10AM

That is heartbreaking. My sympathies to you.
The best reason for PVC tubing with a reinforcement stake. I suspect it would not have held up to the automated machinery though.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 02, 2017 07:46AM

Wow... that's a bummer. Looks like you put a lot time into that rod.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 02, 2017 08:00AM

not a surprise there as the PO line workers doesn't like round tube packages as they tend to roll off the conveyor and they have to sashay over and pick it up and place it in the right bin so they swing it like a bat or club .
It is always to make a 3- 12" triangle tents 1 on each end and 1 in the middle and tape them to the tube. and it will get there in one piece and not broken.
been a problem with PO and UPS to for quite a long time because it can fall off the conveyor and someone has to pick it up and special handling charges weren't paid to ship the package.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2017 10:59AM

Barry,
I am sorry for your experience.

However, I will say that unfortunately, things do happen. In one season, I have experienced blank losses from each of the big three. i.e. Fed Ex, UPS, and the US Post office.

In each case, I am assuming that the tube got caught in a conveyor. No rod shipping container will stand up to the power of a shipper's conveyor. The conveyor will win every time no matter the container.

All that I can suggest is that any time you either receive a product from a supplier or ship a finished rod - you always buy plenty of insurance, so any losses - including your labor will be well covered.

I also don't believe that it makes any difference as to the shape of the package. i.e. round, triangle or square. If something bad is going to happen to the package, it is going to happen.

Best of luck with your next build and may you move quickly on.

Good luck

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 02, 2017 07:31PM

That is so sad. They are the worst and I NEVER use the Post Office. I had a delivery from one of our sponsors and just happened to be looking out the window as the USPS truck dropped off the rod. As I walked out the door I immediately saw that the PVC tube looked like a hockey stick. I yelled at the driver because he couldn't get away fast enough, His attitude was, so what is the big deal ??? I refused the shipment after I made him see what they broke inside.........pathetic.

Of any shipment that is sent to me via USPS I would say 2 in 10 make it here undamaged. The opposite is FEDX so far, knock on wood, Not one rod has been damaged by them.

Hope your next rod for your grandson is a lot more pleasant experience.

Tom

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 02, 2017 08:30PM

Tom Wewerka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is so sad. They are the worst and I NEVER
> use the Post Office. I had a delivery from one of
> our sponsors and just happened to be looking out
> the window as the USPS truck dropped off the rod.
> As I walked out the door I immediately saw that
> the PVC tube looked like a hockey stick. I yelled
> at the driver because he couldn't get away fast
> enough, His attitude was, so what is the big deal
> ??? I refused the shipment after I made him see
> what they broke inside.........pathetic.
>
> Of any shipment that is sent to me via USPS I
> would say 2 in 10 make it here undamaged. The
> opposite is FEDX so far, knock on wood, Not one
> rod has been damaged by them.
>
> Hope your next rod for your grandson is a lot more
> pleasant experience.
>
> Tom

2 in 10 show up undamaged? I hope you've been in touch with your Postmaster. Personally, I've never had a problem with anything I've shipped or received via USPS. The only damaged items I ever received were through FedEx, and if they had been shipped in PVC instead of a triangle cardboard tube, they probably would have been just fine.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 02, 2017 09:18PM

I only ship Fedex. I posted a rant a couple of years ago where I had shipped a rod to California that was to be raffled off in an elementary school fundraiser. It arrived snapped 18" down from the tip with damage to two guides; needless to say it never was used in the raffle. I shipped it in a PVC tube that time instead of a heavy cardboard tube like I usually use. I vowed never to use PVC again, but Roger Wilson replied that it didn't matter what you use if they get it caught in the conveyor, it's gonna get hurt. I agree. I now mark all my tubes, PVC or cardboard, with "Do Not Convey" in big bold letters. I don't know if they actually pay attention to the warning, but I haven't had anything broken since then. I was lucky to get Fedex to pay for the rod as I had it insured, so all I ended up losing was my time. Shipped another rod to southern California about a month ago and it arrived with the end opened up for whatever reason, but the rod was okay. Anymore I just cross my fingers until the customer gets their rod and hope it isn't compromised.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 02, 2017 10:05PM

Jay ...I am serious as a heart attack. I have talked to my postmaster. With their track record I was thinking of insuring a blank for $1000.00 and sending to my son in Florida knowing it would be broken then collect the insurance. They can't even ship within the state of Maryland and not break them. Seriously I could go on and on with examples. There must be some kind of a conveyor issue in my area, it's sad.

Date: August 03, 2017 12:41AM

After 12 years building and sending many USPS, UPS this is the First one Broken, and it had to be to a Child. his dad had to take it home so the boy saw the rod with his name on it

claim filed we will have to wait

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.246.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 03, 2017 05:09PM

It just happens far too often.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 03, 2017 09:24PM

Barry, Always use PVC and splint the rod fore and aft by 3" and pack the end caps with spongy foam for cushioning.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2017 02:40AM

Dennis,
Pvc works just fine for shipping rods.
Cardboard boxes work just fine for shipping rods - especially if you are shipping a batch of rods to the same address.
Plastic rain gutters work very well for shipping rods.
Three pieces of cardboard that are bent to form a triangle work very well for shipping rods.

Then, if you wrap the rod or rods in packing material, you will be about as good as you can do with respect to shipping the rods.

As long as the shipping companies do their job and don't feed the container through a conveyor, the rod or rods will come through just fine.

But, if the container, no matter the material, gets run through a conveyor, the container and its contents will lose every single time.

Good luck

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2017 12:13PM

I do hope it was insured...for twice it's worth. Hopefully it's just the blank. You can rebuild it.

Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2017 06:42PM

Some might know this but since 2008 or 2009 Fed-x has handled all of USPS priority and express mail including packages except local. I retired from the USPS in 2012 and i worked Express mail including round tubes with rods inside. They were never put on a conveyer belt. The contract truck drivers handles packages in loading their trucks to take to the airport to turn over to fed-x then fed-x loads onto their plane flown to Memphis or one of their other hubs. Then unloaded off their planes taken inside processed again, then loaded into a container taken to and loaded onto another fed-x plane and flew to destination unloaded by fed-x employees then loaded on postal contract trucks by non uses employees then taken to uses distribution center to be processed again. So you can see all priority and express packages are handled more by fed-x than usps employees. I believe when the packages arrive in Memphis they are put on a belt.

Date: August 05, 2017 08:47PM

Jay Lancaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do hope it was insured...for twice it's worth.
> Hopefully it's just the blank. You can rebuild
> it.

No Jay Turned red Cedar Grips , And I was told they will keep the rod if we get paid

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 05, 2017 08:55PM

Well Barry, all I can say is its luck. Either you have it or you don't. Buy a power ball ticket for the next drawing and see if the luck is with you.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster