I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10' 8WT Guide Sizing
Posted by: Robert Underwood (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2017 11:57PM

Hello,

I am starting a rod build and would like to get opinions on guide sizing. The blank that I will be basing this build on is a 10 Foot 8 Weight Traditions II. I am planning on throwing 9WT line. For stripper guides I am going to use Fuji TYSG in sizes 16 and 10. For the running guides I want to use a single foot REC RSF or RSFX.

I have researched a lot on this forum and understand that the running guides can all be the same size but need to be able to pass the knot through the guides. Throwing 9WT line utilizing loop-to-loop connections can anyone tell me what size RSF/RSFX guide that would be. My best guess is a size 4 but I have nothing to base my guess on.

Anyone that could share there experience on this would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, the primary use for this rod will be Steelhead.

Thanks,
Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10' 8WT Guide Sizing
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 02, 2017 08:10AM

That's what I use. I'm sure you'll get other opinions. In case you haven't done this before, you can keep the leader connection out of the guides when not using the rod by bringing the fly back to the reel, looping the leader behind the reel then back up to the first or second guide's frame, using that as a keeper. I don't put keepers on rods like this to make sure there is nothing to catch the line on when a fish strikes and starts his run. Another tip you probably already have down pat, but just in case, place the first guide based on your comfortable reach and not on a spacing chart.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 02, 2017 11:27AM

8 wt. rods see some bulky line/leader connections and, hopefully, some big fish. Small guide openings can be a pain when threading a rod and a disaster when a hooked fish makes a dash after the leader has been reeled into the guide train. Because of their geometry snake guides have a larger effective diameter than ring guides of the same nominal diameter. Any fly fisher who can't easily cast 70' [double haul] has no need to worry about how guide selection will affect his rod's ability to cast accurately or for distance.

Date: August 02, 2017 09:01PM

What size do you recommend, Phil. Snake? Single foot?

Date: August 02, 2017 09:17PM

For my own (saltwater) 9' 8 wt. rod i would go with snake guides: 16, 12, 6, 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3 I might upsize to a #20 gathering guide.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 02, 2017 09:27PM

I see not reason to have that many different sizes, what is yours?

Posted by: Robert Underwood (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2017 10:49PM

Anyone have an opinion of RSF vs RFSX? Considering that I am going to use the Fuji TYSG single foot spinning guides for strippers is there any reason to go with the extra heavy?

Date: August 03, 2017 12:21AM

The current 8wt I have on the bench will have a TLNSG 16 and 12, 1 TLSG10, and the balance TLSG8's, as well as a solid titanium reel seat

Ron Weber

Date: August 03, 2017 07:26AM

A primary function of a fly rod guide train is to clear the inevitable loops and tucks in your line when you shoot your cast. A gradual decrease in the diameter of a guide train expedites this function, and besides, it looks nice.

Date: August 03, 2017 07:56AM

Phil, gradual decrease theory is not supported by most builders today. No need to use heavy guides for the first two; I use Alps titanium for those, TIMXN, 16 and 12. REC standard wire snakes in size 4, all one size. They look a little large; I think 3's would do fine. With single foot, I'd stick with 4's. My opinion, no back to back testing data. The rods seem to cast just fine.

Date: August 03, 2017 08:34AM

The principles of fly casting are very different from spin and bait casting. So is the tackle and its requirements. So are the anglers. For example, over 20% of spin/bait fishers can cast farther than 40 feet. This is not true of fly anglers. The main task of a fly rod stripper guide is not to avoid friction but to reduce tangles in the fly line, which why many fly casters are looking to larger stripper guides- like a #20 on an 8wt. Ninety feet of #8 fly line weighs one-half ounce or so. Ninety feet of #15 mono weighs less than a tenth of that. Their flexibility is equally dissimilar. Their behavior in the guide train is far different. On spin rods the efficiency of a rapid reduction in guide size to a single size has proven to be efficient. This is not true of fly rods, to the best of my knowledge.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 03, 2017 07:53PM

Ron,
You might wish to reconsider the Titanium reel seat. It "eats" aluminum reel feet. I had three Kerry Berkheimer custom fly rods that I specified Ti reel seats because I wanted "the best".
Never did it again.

Re snakes vs s/f guides. The snakes have a 18% larger clearance due to the "side-door" effect.

Saltwater fly rods used for fish that will take line have to have guides and tip-top that will accommodate tangles in the running line. Otherwise you will have to put the brakes on the fish and risk popping the leader to keep the line from jamming in the guides. Or - let the tangle go through the guides and hand-over-hand the line back to retrieve - because you will never reel a knot back through the tip-top and guides back on the reel.
On the other hand - you want the lightest build possible so the guides can't be ultra big.
Herb

Date: August 03, 2017 11:12PM

Never had a single complaint on the titanium seats Herb

Ron Weber

Posted by: Robert Underwood (---.ergoscloud.com)
Date: August 04, 2017 09:39AM

Anybody else have first hand information on clearing a 9wt line with a loop-to-loop through a size 4 REC RSF? or size 3 for that matter?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2017 09:44AM by Robert Underwood.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2017 09:13PM

Don't think you'll need a 9 wt. line with that blank. my 10 ft. 8 wt. Rainshadow doesn't and it passes my loop to loop connections just fine with #2 snakes, #4 single foots should be no problem, haven't tried #3 SF on an 8 wt that I remember.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster