I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy finish
Posted by: Bill Hall (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 30, 2017 01:59PM

Is there is a epoxy finish that provides a non gloss finish? When I look at the beautiful Highlander butt wraps you can see every thread without any glare. I just completed several diamond wraps and when I photographed them prior to applying the epoxy finish I could see every individual thread. After applying the epoxy finish it was impossible to photograph them without a glare and they lost some of the luster.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy finish
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2017 03:17PM

Bill,
Try adding a flattening agent. Some folks use a bit of baking soda. You might try experimenting on various amounts and just put a drop on a piece of wood or glass and let it cure. See how any of them come out.

But, in addition to that - if you want to photograph without any glare - use indirect lighting and do not use a flash to illuminate your subject. Indirect lighting is commonly used in studios to provide glare free subject matter.

[digital-photography-school.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Good luck

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2017 03:22PM by roger wilson.

Date: July 31, 2017 04:43PM

Roger:

Thanks for the idea about using baking soda. I will do some experimenting and see what happens. I contacted the folks at Flex Coat and they spoke very highly of you and said you were a great resource to them and to try what ever you suggested. I will let you know if I am able to achieve a non glare finish. Thanks again.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.16.---)
Date: August 01, 2017 01:25AM

I recently finished a butt wrap. As the cross points are raised above the rest of the wrap, waves occurs in the epoxy, which I sanded down. I used a coarse paper at first to knock down high spots. But then I went to finer grade before applying the final coat of finish. The result of tpsandjng finer was potentially what you are looking for. It actually looked pretty cool, although I prefer gloss.

If you have a power wrapper, just back some 1000 grit sandpaper with a block and rapidly move your hand back and forth as you spin the rod. Be sure to use soapy water so you don't clog up the paper. If you don't like the effect, throw on another very light coat and you're right back where you started! Tape the ends, so you don't go sanding the blank by mistake and you can adjust grit as you see fit.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 01, 2017 04:04AM

Date: August 01, 2017 12:51PM

Jay:
Thanks for the link to Klass Coat. I saw your reply and almost missed clinking on the link. I was impressed seeing the satin finish used on a feather butt wrap. I will have to give it a try. It might be just what I'm looking for the reduce the glare and see more detail of ones thread work.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 01, 2017 01:55PM

check there complete site they have a lot to offer

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster