I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Microwave guides
Posted by: Claude Iler (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 30, 2017 01:29PM

Do these and the Airwave guides really perform as stated ? I am seriously considering but would like input from those that have experience with them. I have built a lot of offshore IGFA class rods for sport boats, but my interest has switched to inshore so I am curios . These rods will be for flounder, seatrout, and channel bass(redfish for those not from SC).Thank you for your input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2017 03:24PM

They work well.

But, they do not work better than a conventional guide train.

Your choice.

Be safe

Date: July 30, 2017 04:27PM

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 30, 2017 05:17PM

For inshore rods with 2500 up 4000 Shimano size reels using to 10lb mono or up to 30lb braid they work great. They are also super easy to set up and made with corrosion resistant 316 stainless steel. I built a popping rod to use from a kayak mainly for seattout with the airwaves which are super light and durable. I did use the nanolite tip top. I have been using a Tica Libra 2500 with 8 lb mono and Fireline fused 14lb with good results. For my next rod build made specific for targeting big channel bass I am using all nanolite microwave guide set.

Posted by: Lawrence Hale (---.direcway.com)
Date: July 30, 2017 06:00PM

Claude Iler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do these and the Airwave guides really perform as
> stated ? I am seriously considering but would like
> input from those that have experience with them. I
> have built a lot of offshore IGFA class rods for
> sport boats, but my interest has switched to
> inshore so I am curios . These rods will be for
> flounder, seatrout, and channel bass(redfish for
> those not from SC).Thank you for your input.

Claude, what blank are you going to use? I'm planning on building a couple of inshore/ bay boat rods for myself.

BTW, I fish out of Port Royal Sound.

I'm not OLD........I'm CHRONOLOGICALLY GIFTED

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: July 31, 2017 10:29AM

roger wilson Wrote:
> They work well.
>
> But, they do not work better than a conventional
> guide train.
>
> Your choice.
>
> Be safe

I and many will disagree with this statement...

MicroWave guide do out-perform conventional guide trains.

* Because the line taming capabilities of MicroWave system the line flows off of the rod super straight helping with accuracy
* The vibration is greatly reduced making for a super smooth cast
* The MicroWave layout helps to to balance the rod without adding extra weight to the butt of the rod
* Set up is super easy

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to give me a call or drop an email

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Ernie E Swanson (---.direct.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: July 31, 2017 10:38AM

I love them, Use on a majority of my builds.
I found that they do can better than any other guides. I build a lot of UL and light rod with the airwaves and everyone loves them.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 31, 2017 10:39AM

Yes they perform as stated for sure, the MicroWave and AirWave (ring-less MicroWave)! The accuracy is spot on when sight casting Redfish with a spoon or lure. The AirWave guides are great for inshore and very light.

Date: July 31, 2017 10:59AM

Lawrence Hale Wrote:
> Claude Iler Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Do these and the Airwave guides really perform
> as
> > stated ? I am seriously considering but would
> like
> > input from those that have experience with them.
> I
> > have built a lot of offshore IGFA class rods
> for
> > sport boats, but my interest has switched to
> > inshore so I am curios . These rods will be for
> > flounder, seatrout, and channel bass(redfish
> for
> > those not from SC).Thank you for your input.
>
>
> Claude, what blank are you going to use? I'm
> planning on building a couple of inshore/ bay boat
> rods for myself.
>
> BTW, I fish out of Port Royal Sound.

I have not decided yet, all I know is they will be 7', just like everything I have now. I am seriously considering Tennessee handles.

Posted by: Gilbert Rodriguez (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: July 31, 2017 11:57AM

I will say this I stand by these products. I am one of the pro staffs for american tackle. I use these guides alot. I used mostly for spanish mackerels on ultra light inshore rods using gotcha lures. Casting is dead on accuracy is very fine tune. The key is building with microwave guides and airwaves guides is using the guide spacing that they give for guides which has to be dead on position perfectly to get that accuracy and to perform exactly what it used for. I never had no failures with the guides. I been using these for at least two yrs and caught over limits with returns every time i use them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2017 12:02PM by Gilbert Rodriguez.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hampton.k12.va.us)
Date: July 31, 2017 12:08PM

Microwaves are as advertised or better. The thing I noticed most is improved casting distance. Casting distance matters while stalking reds or specs. 10lb -15lb braid and let er rip! Just follow the guide spacing that comes with the guides for the first 3 guides. You will love them.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 31, 2017 12:38PM

The microwave spin guides do perform better than conventional guides, but no better than the Fuji KR concept guides. Both give excellent performance. The microwave guides are sold as a set, and are very easy to space on a rod, just follow the instructions. However, I think the Fuji KR concept gives more versatility and you do not have any problems replacing a broken stripper or reduction guide.
Norm

Posted by: Matt Wright (107.77.85.---)
Date: July 31, 2017 01:33PM

As a newer builder my like of these guides is ease of use on top of the added features. I build mostly 7' or shorter medium action and less rods. My last few builds have all been airwave or microwaves. Placement is easy and needs little adjusting. If you have a shorter rod, place first three guides as instructed and place what you need to the tip. Makes life easy! The guys I have built for love the distance and smooth casts. To me it took the guesswork out of picking the right size guides or asking questions on this site and getting 10 different answers. The best part is they look great, casting or spinning!

Posted by: Derek Beamer (---.sub-174-255-198.myvzw.com)
Date: July 31, 2017 01:43PM

Claude,

Microwave and Airwave guides definitely perform as advertised. I use either one of these guide sets on the majority on my builds. My customers are always satisfied with the performance of the Microwave guide system and often reach out after fishing with them for the first time. Many customers have advised that they have improved casting performance with these guides. I'm told that they can now cast further, more accurately or both. Other customers have commented on the sensitivity and balance. I've been using the Airwaves recently and couldn't be happier. You will not go wrong using either of these guide sets. Feel free to reach out if you want to discuss this topic further. Tight lines and get bent!

Derek Beamer
Custom Rod Fabricator/ Owner
Bald Guy Fishing
Chattanooga, Tennessee
www.baldguyfishing.com
customrods@baldguyfishing.com

Posted by: Douglas Roberts (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2017 07:14PM

The microwave guides have won more awards than anything else in fishing history ever. There are many reasons why. Just give them a try and you will love them

Date: July 31, 2017 07:14PM

The microwave guides have won more awards than anything else in fishing history ever. There are many reasons why. Just give them a try and you will love them

Date: July 31, 2017 07:15PM

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 31, 2017 09:15PM

I was a serious skeptic - I could not believe they could outperform the accepted standard for over a hundred years, but I was wrong!! I wrapped two identical blanks, one with the Microwave guides and the other with a standard "cone of flight" set. I then took three different reels with three different types of line and cast a 1/4 oz lure 10 times with each rod/reel combination on a football field to measure the differences, recording each cast (with a friend handling the measuring tape). I was surprised that my distances were about 5% better, on average, with the Microwave guides. But that was not the biggest difference, in my opinion!! I backed off and cast with about 75% power, and the distance was almost the same with the Microwave guides, but far shorter with the standard guides. This meant I could cast easier, and thereby focusing more on accuracy, with the Microwave guides. Other positive benefits include the lighter overall rods, shorter guide feet so there are not any significant "stiff" points, and the cast feels much smoother with less vibration. I would not hesitate to use the Microwave guides, and now have several Trout, Steelhead/Salmon and Surf rods with the varying sizes. I do not regret my choices.

In fairness and full disclosure, I am on the pro Staff of American Tackle, but if I had not experienced it for myself, I would not have provided the above information.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2017 08:57AM

As has been said Microwave guides are the REAL deal. They work as advertised and to me as a custom rod builder it's all about customer satisfaction and my customers are happy with these guides. When they first came out we had to hard sell this product and now that they have proven themselves my clients ask for them. There only question is, black, chrome or titanium !!! Another important thing for me is that it helps eliminate competition from the retail stores which in many cases don't carry them or probably more true, don't know how to sell this product. I can offer these guides on any blank with any configuration of grips and reel seats, although I strongly urge them to buy the American Tackle Aero Comfort Grip......wow what a sweet combo !!!!

Not sure I would use Air Waves in saltwater but that is a topic Don Morse can cover.

Tom

tomscustomrods.com

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2017 08:57AM

As has been said Microwave guides are the REAL deal. They work as advertised and to me as a custom rod builder it's all about customer satisfaction and my customers are happy with these guides. When they first came out we had to hard sell this product and now that they have proven themselves my clients ask for them. There only question is, black, chrome or titanium !!! Another important thing for me is that it helps eliminate competition from the retail stores which in many cases don't carry them or probably more true, don't know how to sell this product. I can offer these guides on any blank with any configuration of grips and reel seats, although I strongly urge them to buy the American Tackle Aero Comfort Grip......wow what a sweet combo !!!!

Not sure I would use Air Waves in saltwater but that is a topic Don Morse can cover.

Tom

tomscustomrods.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster