I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Invisible wrap heavy rod
Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.16.---)
Date: July 30, 2017 10:59AM

Hi, just wondering what the possibilities are on a using a transparent wrap on a saltwater rod rated 30 to 50 lbs. I'm not sure the strength of silk to nylon. If I recall correctly, the tensile strength of silk is very high. I'd like to (maybe) use it on a butt guide that will have a cross wrap as an underwrap, so the only thing hidden on the butt wrap will be the guide feet on the bottom of the rod. I've read the article in Rodmaker on guide stress, and it seems like the butt guide doesn't get much stress on it. So maybe this would work.

In addition, the guides are black, so I would need to paint the feet after filing them down and prepping them. I was thinking enamel model paint. Any ideas here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Invisible wrap heavy rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2017 12:11PM

Randy,
Rather than using invisible thread - how about using thread without CP, so that when coated is identically the same color as the blank?

The translucent look that you get with this process works very well and you have essentially invisible thread with excellent strength.

Good luck

Date: July 30, 2017 12:48PM

I considered using white with no CP, but I read that the only way to get a true transparency is with undyed natural silk.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 30, 2017 03:43PM

Hello Randy.

I use white no CP all the time.

Do a 1" wrap on something the color of your blank and see if you like it.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2017 04:43PM

The natural threads like silk, absorb more finish and become more transparent than nylon which absorbs about 15%.

Date: July 31, 2017 02:26AM

I guess I wasn't very clear.

1. I was mainly wondering if the strength of silk was adequate for a butt guide on a heavy rod.

2. The blank will never show through, because this would go over a closed cross wrap.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 31, 2017 09:30PM

Randy,

I have never used heavier silk thread, but when wrapping a split bamboo rod, I was very frustrated at the low breaking strength of the silk (size 50) I must have broken the thread a dozen times on that one rod alone. I have used polyester, cotton and nylon threads, and in my opinion, they were stronger, I have never had them break in mid-wrap. You do however need to pay attention to the stretch factor, as any very stretchy thread will compound the pressure on the blank. I have found the pro Wrap threads from American Tackle to be highly satisfactory, my next best choice to Gudebrod (which no longer exists...)

That being said, many different threads will become translucent without a color preserver. One of the coolest effects I have seen is a white metallic Pro Wrap thread, whose base white thread disappears and only the sparkly prismatic colors from the Mylar over-wrap are visible. Really adds another dimension to the wrap!!

Date: August 01, 2017 01:11AM

Richard Bowers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of the coolest effects I have seen is a white
> metallic Pro Wrap thread, whose base white thread
> disappears and only the sparkly prismatic colors
> from the Mylar over-wrap are visible. Really adds
> another dimension to the wrap!!

I have actually done the exact same thing with the same white metallic thread. By mistake actually, but cool nonetheless. The only thing I didn't care for was the fact you could see the tag ends of the inlays beneath, as it was an unplanned effect. It was on one I built for my daughter.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2017 06:24PM

I've caught fish over 100 lbs. many, many times on silk thread wrapped guides and others here have also. My guess, as it's a prototype blank from the early 80's is my rod is around 30 lb. class, and wrapped with Fuji MNSG guides.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 01, 2017 08:10PM

Silk is stronger than nylon if the same diameter, if concerned you could try a double layer of silk.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: August 02, 2017 03:02PM

Thanks Phil. I just thought of something. Can I test it out by just wrapping and soaking it with water? Or would that not be a true test?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 02, 2017 03:07PM

Not sure water will give the same effect, and won't it also soak the underwraps?

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: August 02, 2017 03:19PM

I will epoxy the cross wrap prior to wrapping the guide. I find it easier and I've done it in the past. I don't see any down side. I won't likely be casting this rod, and am not concerned with the extra miligrams of weight. It will be used for trolling bait behind a kayak or letting live bait swim freely on a baitrunner reel. I do this for normal underwraps as well. Its just so much easier (to me) to put at least a thin coat of finish on the underwrap. Especially for packing and reducing gaps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster