I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Accurate Tip Guide Internal (Bore) Diameter Measurement
Posted by: Tommy Bee (79.79.172.---)
Date: July 27, 2017 01:32PM

I take it you use a caliper to get this spot on?
Do you go for a tiny bit too big (as the hot glue will fill in any tiny gaps)?
How much too big?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Accurate Tip Guide Internal (Bore) Diameter Measurement
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2017 02:01PM

If you get the tip too larger, you can always put multiple wraps of thread on the tip top to fill the gaps before you glue on the tip top if you wish. Basically the fit of the tip top should be such that you can't get the thickness of your thinnest finger nail in between the tip top and the blank tip.

Good luck

Date: July 27, 2017 02:11PM

Ok ta mate

So I take it a tight fit, i.e an eye that you can barely push on is not good

Finding this forum an excellent resource, thanks very much to everybody. I am just starting out having done an excellent course (the ONLY one in the UK at some expense)
Who knows one day might make it over for some Largemouth Bass fishing or something!

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 27, 2017 06:16PM

The tip top plastic tool that Mudhole sells is perfect, it allows you to measure both the outside diameter of the blank/rod or the inside diameter of the tip top, great for repairs.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.sub-70-196-142.myvzw.com)
Date: July 27, 2017 06:56PM

If your tip top is tight fitting you can scrape the finish off the tip to get a good fit. Removing the finish on the tip will not harm the blank or affect performance. If you have to use a size A thread wrap to get the tip top to fit, the tip top is at least 1/64" too large. I like to use a tip top that has no or very little wiggle when dry fitted. In my opinion, is not worth the trouble to wrap the tip to get the tip top to fit.
Norm

Date: July 27, 2017 07:36PM

Cheers Norman, superb response

I just wasted $75 but I have done that before and will live lol

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2017 08:02PM

Tip Sizer by Fuji is probably what was mentioned above, if you have a full set of nominal drill bits you can size your tip top with them. Get one that's sloppy, but to tight for the next size, it's a good bet it's a half size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2017 07:14PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 30, 2017 10:16AM

THe CBR Tip Top and Guide measuring tool has both ID and OD for tip tops and guides and has a conversion table on the back - a very handy tool!
[www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster