I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old Epoxy
Posted by: Earl Estrada (156.75.79.---)
Date: July 24, 2017 03:13PM

So I picked up some stuff from another builder in the area (very nice guy, thanks Mike!), and got a few bottles of old epoxy, and a LOT of it. And by the looks, its pretty old since the part A is very clear, but part B is almost brown. It is two different brands, both equally brown.

So I decided to test them.

I found out that one of the brands is SUPER thick, and cures very fast. It is also VERY hard. You can feel the heat during curing. I suspect it is no good anymore, at least for rod building. Doesnt say how fast it is supposed to cure, but its flex coat, so I assume slow. It cures slight yellow, and with an ever so slight haze.

The second batch (will update with brand later), it doesn't specify high or lite build, but its very thin, so I suspect it must be a lite build. It is very runny when mixed, and cures very slowly, maybe over 18 hours. It is fully cured now, and very flexible. It also cured with a slight yellow color, but very clear otherwise.

So, the batch that is good, is slightly yellow when cured. Other than discoloration, is there any reason I should not use the second, thinner epoxy?

Is there any practical application for the "fast" epoxy, where color is no consequence?

My plan is that I would just use the thin on dark threads where color is of no consequence or builds where perfection is no object, like practice, or my own beater rods. Just wanna make sure there are no other consequences I am not able to foresee.

Thanks guys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2017 03:17PM by Earl Estrada.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Epoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 24, 2017 04:42PM

Both will still work. The amber or yellow coloration is natural and won't be as noticeable in a thin application over thread unless you're working with a very light color - white, light blue, etc. Of course, given what epoxy costs (not much) you might be more comfortable with fresh stock in whatever epoxy product that you prefer.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 26, 2017 04:25PM

I'd wager the fast curing, heat throwing one is an adhesive epoxy and not thread finish.

Posted by: Earl Estrada (156.75.79.---)
Date: July 27, 2017 07:09AM

It is Flex Coat, and appears to be for threads, at least the bottle says so. Makes me wonder, how old, and if some of the thinners are able to evaporate off over time.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 27, 2017 08:01AM

There are no thinners nor solvents in these products. They are 100% solids epoxy.

Posted by: Earl Estrada (172.58.168.---)
Date: July 27, 2017 08:55AM

I am no expert, but I have been using epoxies for over 20 years, and I always thought the hardner was made with several solvents. In fact, after looking at 7 or so MSDS sheets just to check, and they all had at least one solvent, most of them having benzenemethanol, or benzyl alcohol. I am not sure how susceptible to evaporation those are, but I would assume there is also solvents in our hardeners, despite the fact that I couldn't find the MSDS for FlexCoat.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2017 02:06PM

Earl,
The best and safest thing to do with all of the epoxy is to dump it and purchase new.

When you build a rod, you get a lot of money in materials and many hours of your time on some special builds.

Why take even a slight chance of using a product that may make your money and time spent to produce any thing less than a perfect product.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster