I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drier getting stuck.
Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.16.---)
Date: July 23, 2017 01:20PM

Hey all, the drier on my Alps rod wrapper has taken to getting stuck and bouncing back and forth between clockwise and counter clockwise. It would do that on occasion when I first turned it on, but I'd give a little nudge and it would be on its way. Today I had a rod drying, and when I went back to check on it, it was stuck. Fortunately, the heat seems to have helped it cure quickly, and I didn't get any sags. It was a thin coat anyways. But if this had been a slower curing variety, like Pro Kote, I'd have some serious waves going on. Has anyone experienced this, and how did you fix it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drier getting stuck.
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2017 02:03PM

Get with Batson to see what they think.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2017 03:49PM

Randy,

Don't try to fix the motor. The motor has failed.

Get a new motor and you will be in better shape.

By the way, if you order one motor - do yourself a favor and order a 2nd motor. Then, when the next motor fails, you will have a spare motor on hand. Many of these timing motors will last for many years. But, some of them may only last for a very short time.

As with any critical item, keep spares on hand so a spare can be quickly inserted if you encounter another failure.

p.s.
You do want to check for one thing and that is to check for any sort of resistance in your drying motor to chuck and to rod setup. With the belt removed from the motor, can you turn the chuck and rod with virtually 0 resistance? If now - then fix the issue.
Continue to investigate until you find the source of resistance - if you have any - and then solve the source of resistance.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 24, 2017 08:11PM

Seems to turn fine when I remove the drive belt. And when I use the foot pedal. Its only when I have the drier on. Its finicky. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes it acts as described.

Date: July 24, 2017 09:24PM

Randy,
Since the unit turns fine with no belt, you don't have excess drag.

Install a new motor and you will be good to go.

Be safe

[www.mudhole.com]

[www.flyrodcrafters.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.lusolarelectronics.com]

Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.16.---)
Date: July 24, 2017 09:43PM

Thanks Roger, seems like a cheap fix!

Date: July 25, 2017 01:09PM

Randy,
If you do buy another motor, be sure to check the mounting dimensions of your current motor, the size of the shaft on your current motor and the rpm of your current motor.

If you get the exact match, it will be easier to replace.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster