I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

HOW TO REMOVE CURED FINGER PRINTS.
Posted by: JOHN BURKE (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2017 11:52AM

Evidently my grandson got in my room last night touched a rod
I was finishing. The guide I can fix, but the cured finger prints are a
problem. It is a glossy finish rod. I have tried de-natured alcohol and
acetone with no results. If it was my rod I would let it ride, but is a
customer build. I am sure someone has had this issue?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO REMOVE CURED FINGER PRINTS.
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 22, 2017 12:35PM

I have had this happen before. Gently heat the finger print with a hair drier or a heat gun, be careful with the heat gun. This should soften the epoxy and allow you to remove it with your finger nail or a hard wood scraper. Do not use a metal scraper because it will scratch the underlying finish. Most clear coats are not epoxy so they are not effected by the added heat. Should come off fairly easily.
Norm

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 22, 2017 12:39PM

your grandson gave me an idea...i think i,ll e-poxy my thumb print on all my rods as proof of ownership. lol.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 22, 2017 02:49PM

Tell the buyer it's signed and ready for pick up.

Date: July 22, 2017 03:44PM

capt...that,s funny!

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 22, 2017 05:48PM

well if they aren't to deep then just add a lite cost of finish and they will disappear

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2017 02:39AM

Use a wooden popsicle stick to abrade the finger prints after some gentle heat. Once its broken down, denatured alcohol should soak in and clean it right off after a few repetitions.

good luck

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 23, 2017 02:51AM

John,
At the risk of sounding insensitive or uncaring, I may be inclined to agree with Ben. Your grandson may have just inadvertently started a new “Signature Series” for us rod builders. Seriously, there are possibilities here. It has got me thinking (Oh, no, not again).

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: July 23, 2017 11:26AM

hi mark..i was thinking a little more on this and came up with some ideas such as an ink print covered with e-poxy or an e-poxied decor wrap with a thumb print on it but most people would probably just prefer their name on the rod...i would.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 23, 2017 02:37PM

Wasn't even a viable solution to the OP's original question

Ron Weber

Date: July 23, 2017 02:41PM

Ben, you are probably correct, but I really like the idea, possible others with a twisted thinking process similar to mine as well.
John, please thank your grandson for me!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: July 23, 2017 08:35PM

I guess this kinda got off kilter a little. I guess making light of the situation is good medicine. This is an inshore rod. In place of me
heating the marks and blank, I am going place a fish measuring mark and a speckled trout decal. Minimum size in Alabama is 14"
and the prints fall just below that. Will scuff the prints, clean, and fininsh. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks for the input.

Date: July 24, 2017 01:25AM

Ron, Granted I did not offer a “viable solution” to the “OP’s original question”, but either did you. My remarks are genuine and sincere and at least connected to the original question.
John, while possibly “Making light of the situation” or being “off kilter”, once again, I was genuine and sincere with my remarks. I am very sensitive to others feelings and included “At the risk of sounding insensitive or uncaring” first off in my original reply.
It is not just Ron and John, but others as well. I am fed-up with having to defend myself and comments on this website. I have offered public apologies to overly sensitive members yet continually get ridiculed. Happy wrapping to all, but I am out of here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Talmo

Date: July 24, 2017 06:04PM

Mark, I apologize. Was not trying to offend in any way. Not my intent. I appreciate all comments. Very new to this forum and trying to learn from others. It's just I have not had this happen before, was in panic mode, and surely was hoping
others have had this problem and could offer a solution. Again, thanks for the input.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 24, 2017 06:05PM

Mark,

You weren't out of line. Had you been, your post wouldn't have been left up.

John,

It is possible that if the fingerprint is just a light one, you may be able to heat it a bit with a hair dryer and possibly slice it off with a plastic butter knife or even your fingernail. Just be careful with the heat. A hair dryer should be easy to control. If you use a bona fide heat gun, be very careful that you don't damage the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster