I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Blank Sealer/Finisher?
Posted by: Earl Estrada (172.58.3.---)
Date: July 21, 2017 09:53AM

I am really beating a dead horse, but I want to make sure I make the most informed, and best suited choice I can. So please bare with me.

So, once again, on to the 1968 Star Rod rebuild (like I said, long process). I have striped the finish from the blank completely, except from the chevrons and the hand written label. I was able to take acetone to the chevron area, and remove a small layer at a time, and it actually cleaned up quite nice in the areas I plan on leaving. Nice and clean, no more paint over-spray, and I think a coat of epoxy in that area will make it nice and new looking.

It "appears" to be an epoxy finish, OR a heavy buildup of varnish. I didn't use my calipers to measure the thickness of the cut off material, but it is about the thickness of epoxy on thread wraps that I have removed from other rods. I did find that it was SUPER EASY to remove using a slightly dull hobby knife, and "sliced " off like butter without touching the glass blank and was a very flexible and soft material, even after 50 years. Why is this important? Well, whatever it is that lasted 50 years, I kind of want to use the same thing! lol

So my next step is sanding, and re-finishing the blank. How much should I sand off? The glass blank has a wrap pattern to it. You can see and feel the wrap overlaps, and such. Should i sand them completely out, or will that compromise the integrity of the blank?

As far as finishing, there are TONS of rod finishes. I know Perma Gloss was highly recommended, but I don't think it will smooth out the finish enough, because it may not be high build enough, but maybe I am wrong?? I haven't used it yet, so my understanding of the product is limited. Sorry for that...

What I would like is a nice, glassy, smooth build, high or low build doesn't really matter as long as it is glassy and smooth, even if the rod is not smooth, since you can feel and see the fiberglass wraps or wavy-ness. Durability would be my next desired trait as well. So something that works in all those respects.

Which products are best suited for this requirement, with the least amount of practice?

1. Perma Gloss
2. Lumiseal
3. ThreadMaster One
4. Seymo Rod Varnish
5. Rod Dancer rod varnish
6. Multiple lite coats of a lite build epoxy

The rod stripped, is SOOOOOO much lighter, and feels more "sensitive" and I like that, so maybe something heavy is not the way to go, and I should keep the natural look of the glass blank. I don`t know... This part of this build has me the most perplexed, because of the options and the pro/cons of each finish and method.

Thanks guys and gals!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2017 01:49PM by Earl Estrada.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Blank Selaer/Finisher?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 21, 2017 01:21PM

What is the chief purpose of the refinish, appearance or function?

Re: Best Blank Sealer/Finisher?
Posted by: Earl Estrada (156.75.79.---)
Date: July 21, 2017 01:49PM

The MAIN purpose would be the best appearance, or a combination of appearance and longevity.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 21, 2017 03:25PM

Then I would suggest your option #6. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Many experienced anglers dislike the look of thick, shiny finishes on their rod blanks.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 21, 2017 03:59PM

ParmaGloss would be the lightest, thinnest, most flexible and the toughest. It can be a bit tricky to apply depending on the application method you choose.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 21, 2017 04:48PM

I agree with Tom Permagloss is the best rod finish I have used. It is hard, durable, flexible, and will never yellow. It will last a lifetime. Do a Permagloss search for an application procedure, there have been several in the the past year and hundreds over all dates. I like using a wipe on method using a cosmetic sponge. You should be able to easily find this method, in fact Mark Talmo clearly outlined the method within the the past month or two.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 21, 2017 09:33PM

I agree with Tom and Norman. 2 to 4 coats of PG applied with a micro-fine pore foam cosmetic pad with a hole in the center ½ to ¾ the blank diameter. But you need to be prepared, definitive, and very quick with the application. 1 or 2 coats are sufficient, 4 coats will make the blank glassier.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 23, 2017 10:10AM

#7 CPXtra

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 23, 2017 03:12PM

if you decided to use Perma gloss, you want as smooth a surface as possible, before application.

Posted by: Tommy Bee (79.79.172.---)
Date: July 25, 2017 04:38PM

I've got rod dancer to start pretty much my first ever proper builds with
Can't wait
It was reccomended as an easy ''no frills'' two coat thread finish that will get me going
The rods are for me to use and I have no dryer or heavy machinery yet, that is why they reccomended something easy
I will let you know what it's like

Posted by: Earl Estrada (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 25, 2017 09:44PM

Well, after all the comments, research, and my ultimate goal, I have come down to two choices.

Perma Gloss or Varnish

The varnish will give the old school 60's rod that old school look, which is what I want. Or I can "modernize" it and make it better by going with the perma gloss. Since I have 2, maybe I will do each one with a different finish!

Thanks guys!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2017 12:10PM

PermaGloss will look like varnish for the most part, but will outlast it a hundred to one.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2017 03:02AM

???? Please advise.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster