I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish Contamination Questions
Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2017 07:50PM

I just did a short butt wrap and when I put the second coat of epoxy on it I think I had the worst case of fish-eyes that I've ever had. As far as I know nothing changed from the way I normally apply finish. (I don't do many rods maybe 3-4 a year.) I used the same epoxy I used before, same thread, in the same area, same conditions, kept my hands and work area clean, etc. So this leads me to the questions below:

1. What are some of the contaminants or ways of introducing contaminants that are not readily apparent?

2. What is the best way to deal with the fish-eyes in the finish (assuming I try an save the wrap since it already had one coat of epoxy)? Can the finish be lightly sanded and wiped down? Do the fish eyes have to be completely sanded out? What can be used to wipe down the epoxy after it is sanded?

3. Even if I have to remove the wrap and start over, what can I use to wipe the rod down to help eliminate any contaminants?

Thanks, any suggestions appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish Contamination Questions
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2017 08:17PM

Robert

Have only that 2 fish eye problems. No idea what caused the first, and am 99.99% certain the second was the result of the wife dusting a desk next to the work bench and the work bench top (it's laminated maple) using Pledge. The entire basement is now off limits to the wife's cleaning - I do it and without Pledge.

The way I dealt with the fish eyes was to apply 2 more coats of finish to build up an ugly mess which I then carefully sanded as level as I could, repeated the 2 coats of epoxy and sanding again, then, with the area finally level, applied a single finish coat. Applying 2 coats of epoxy gave me some margin of safety for sanding over a label without sanding into the label or the winding under the label. And yes, it took forever, or so it seemed.

If you sand you don't need to "wipe down" with a solvent. Blow the worst of the dust away and capture the rest by winding on tape then removing the tape.

Feel your pain!

Re: Finish Contamination Questions
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2017 10:00PM

If you did not have fish eyes with the first coat, something got onto it before you applied the second.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster