I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf rod suggestions
Posted by: Paul Wood (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2017 09:38PM

I found out last week that I'm going to be in the Fort Pierce/ Port St Lucie area of Florida the entire month of December this year ( I live in Ohio). I have no saltwater or surf fishing experience, but I'm looking forward to changing that! Looking to build a pair of surf rods, but was hoping for some help getting started. All of my research so far has me leaning toward a setup using 20lb mono, or in that neighborhood, as it seems that most of the available fish at that time of year can be landed with that (any insight to the contrary would be welcomed, but I'm not looking for fishing tips on this forum...feel free to email any of those you might have!).
My initial questions are recommended length and power, and any advantages of one over the other. If anyone has a favorite blank for this type of fishing, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf rod suggestions
Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 16, 2017 10:13PM

What type of surf fishing? Bait, plugs, tins, etc. What reels are you looking to use? What is the average weight you plan on casting? What is the target species? More information will make it easier to respond to your question. You should use the search function above. It's loaded with information.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2017 01:03AM

Take a Look at this Blank here ! butt Section and Two Tip sections Rated For Different Casting Weights. Best of Both up to 6OZ for Bait and a Lighter rated Blank for Plugs and metal

[rodgeeks.com]

Posted by: Earl Estrada (156.75.79.---)
Date: July 17, 2017 07:50AM

Although its personal preference, and your height plays a factor, for anyone over 5'10", I would say the longer the better. 10' minimum, and all the way to 14'. Power and Action depend highly on what type of fishing.

Here is a good primmer: [www.outdoorproshop.com]

As a rule to choose your design:
1. Size dictates casting distance (more than other factors). Since in surf fishing you want to get out past the breaks, this is VERY important.
2. Fast action, with a "hard" tip for live bait, which is what I like to fish.
3. Power, in my opinion, should always be medium heavy to heavy. You need to use (here in My part of Florida, Daytona) when fishing live bait, a lot of weight. I use 4 ounce "sputnik" weights, and even they are sometimes not enough to stay put. Sometime, they can also be too heavy. So a rod blank capable of 3 to 5 ounce would be a good choice, giving you the option to god down in weight, and up in weight depending on surf conditions.

Just my 2 cents.

I havent yet built my own surf rod (just store bought) but I kinda like the British versions, which do not actually use reel seats. The wrap the blank tword the handle, and then use reel straps. Makes sense, because no matter how good the reel seat, eventually corrosion becomes a factor.

Date: July 17, 2017 10:17AM

I'm not necessarily targeting a specific species...in a perfect world I'd catch one of each. But from what I've read, snapper, black drum, bluefish, redfish, sheepshead, croaker, pompano, and blacktip sharks are what I can expect in the area. I'm definitely planning on using live bait, and I'm anticipating using around a 4 ounce weight. I have a pair of Okuma Avenger Baitfeeder reels-ABF-65, that I use in Ohio for large cats...I'm planning on using those reels.
Thanks for the input!

Posted by: Earl Estrada (156.75.79.---)
Date: July 17, 2017 12:08PM

Those will be perfect! Should use anything over a 50 (5000) for Surf. I am looking at a few 70`s.

I personally want to build a surf rod soon, and I think I will go about 12 feet, Heavy power, medium or medium-light action. I thought about going with a casting reel, and doing an acid wrap, which would be ideal for surf fishing, BUT I am not very good with bait casters. So i think I will stick with spinning. I really want to drop some money on my Surf pole, once I get there. I am thinking as salt resistant as I can, like Ti guides, handle wrap and graphite seat. Hopefully this will be a good combination, but expensive...

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.70.---)
Date: July 17, 2017 12:46PM

I would check out the rodgeek blank mentioned above and MIX blanks. Longer rods are great for big surf but I use no more than 10' rods and cast just as far as guys with 12' rods. Having the right blank for the casting weight makes a big difference. Good luck on your trip.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 17, 2017 04:29PM

At whatever point you can no longer move/push the longer rod as fast as you can a shorter rod during the cast, there will be no additional benefits in terms of casting distance. What Michael stated above is worth considering. Don't select a rod so long that you struggle to cast it.

Date: July 17, 2017 07:55PM

Michael/Tom-I understand what you're saying about struggling with a long rod. I'm 6'1", and weigh 210, so I think I have the height and strength to throw a longer rod. What I'm not sure of, as I've never done it before, is a shorter rod easier to cast than a longer rod? Or more specifically, is the learning curve faster with a shorter rod than a longer rod? I checked out the blank that Earl mentioned above, and while that would be a great blank if I was going to change between live and artificial baits, I'm planning on only using live bait this time. I found a blank from Rodgeeks that seemed to cover a wide range of line weight and lure weight-SRF130MHMF2. It's a 13' blank. I also found a few 11' blanks offered by Mudhole that I'm considering. Both have the same power and action, both fit the line weight and lure weight I'm anticipating using. Both are within the same price point, as is the blank from Rodgeeks, but one is e-glass, and the other graphite. If I opt for the shorter blanks, is there an advantage of graphite over glass, or vice versa?
Earl-What do you mean by a "hard" tip for live bait fishing?
Again, thanks to all for your input!!!

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 17, 2017 08:33PM

Paul, I speak from experience. I surfcast at least 100 times a year and i build lots of surf rods. I am also 6'1" and weight 220 and an 11' rod is overkill for me. You said you plan on doing a lot of bait and wait fishing which is good with a longer rod, because less casting means less fatigue. Another idea to consider is build a long bait casting rod and a shorter 9'-9'6" rod for plugs, tins, etc. You can use your 5500 reels on both. Its always good to have options. Best, MH

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 17, 2017 11:57PM

Rod Geeks and the St Croix Surf rod blanks are great. The only possible issue with them is they are a 70/30 split design instead of 50/50 if you have limited travel space.I have a St Croix Avid 3-8 that I really like and another rod that is a 3/4 to 4oz which covers most of my surf needs in NC. I think a 10 to 11ft blank with a 2 to 6oz rating would be very versatile for FL . You might also be able to use it for long range catfish fishing in some of the big rivers in Ohio.

For a surf spinning rod I would use a
smaller diameter main line than 20lbs to increase casting distance. I use 14lb mono and 14lb fireline fused braid for my spinning reels attached to a casting shock leader that is determined by weight of lead in oz times 10. Another option if your only casting 4 oz max is to use 40lb braid for main line which is still much thinner and suppler than 20lb mono.

Also don't overlook all of the inter coastal waterway,flats and pier fishing that area has to offer.Bass and catfish tackle would work in many these situations. One of these days I want to get down there to catch a Snook , especially on a fly rod.

Date: July 18, 2017 01:14AM

As always, the input from the members here is priceless. I'm going to limit my rod length to between 10' and 11', leaning towards 10'...as was mentioned, might get a chance to use it back home. I'm leaning towards a heavy power blank...is that overkill?

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 18, 2017 01:38AM

I fish this area a lot. Used to live there.

I use two basic rods:

Bait - something about 9-10 ft that will handle 3 oz. This for pompano, whiting and random others.

Lures - 10' trigger rod rated to about 2 oz. I use hot rodded Abu 6500c's and 12 lb line and can cast the 1- 1 1/2 irons for hours with this rig. This primarily for snook, blues and spanish. Mostly its an early morning bite though.

I would also bring some bass gear with you: not only for the salt: plugging snook and trout, but also some of the best fresh water bass fishing in the world is right there in Stick Marsh and Blue Cypress lakes. Spittn' distance from where you'll be.

Whit

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2017 08:12PM

In a carbon blank, you can go longer and not expend any more effort than you would in casting a shorter glass blank. For instance, an 11 foot carbon blank might not require any more effort than a 9 or 10 foot glass blank. So consider the material involved when deciding on the length you choose.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2017 07:54PM

Good deals I have seen lately is Anglers Workshop has the St Croix Avid 10ft 1-4 on there closeout deals for $114 and there private label brand made in the USA by Talon is worth a look too.

Then Schneiders Rod shop has a Rainshadow 3/4-4oz for $70 I believe their lure weights tend to be underweighted. Maybe someone who has used this model will chime in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster