I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Static Loading a rod for guide placement.
Posted by: JOHN BURKE (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2017 05:43PM

New to this method on casting rods. Used to just following the recommended spacing by rod length. Building a 7 foot Rainshadow RX6 SP842 casting rod. I have the
stripper guide (size 10) to a reduction guide (size 6) to the running guides (size 5.5) to a matching tip. I made a jig to support the rod at 45 degrees. I placed my stripper at 22.5
inches from the face of a baitcasting reel and the first running guide 3.5 from the tip. Mounted the reel and put enough weight on the end of the line to get and
hold 45 degrees from the tip to floor. Started with 8 running guides between the reduction guide and the first running guide (total 11 guides). No matter how I
I adjusted the runners, the line touched the blank. Added more guides for a total of 14 (12 runners). I said wow, what am I doing wrong. I know that the static load is used
to place the most guides in the power curve of the rod, but while doing so the line should not touch either, correct?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Static Loading a rod for guide placement.
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2017 06:51PM

Did you read the article in the library? Try loading the rod with a line tied only to the tip top, this gives you the natural bend of the blank. Then you add guides as needed to protect the blank, with a line running from the reel with only enough weight to tension the line straight, place your guides on the line and run them down the blank to each position as needed. Touching the blank has nothing to do with it as long as you don't go overboard and have the line running under the blank. Why would the blank need less guides in a spinning configuration if blank protection is the reason we install guides? I'd use the article in the library to set your guides.
I don't place my next guide from the tip at a distance for no reason, and I don't know why 3.5 inches seems to be the norm lately, it was 4.5 to 5 inches not to long ago and the blank hasn't changed any and have no history of blowing up on people. Anyway back to the build, why would you use blank deflection as a basis for guide displacement for every guide other than the first from the tip top and the first from the reel? Isn't a blank a blank and a bend a bend? Some high end Sage rods have the first guide from the tip at 6 inches and have finer tips than your blank. Let the blank tell you where it needs a guide.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 16, 2017 07:22PM

I have to agree with Spencer
as for placing the first/last runner from the tip top at 3.5 inches is just plain silly as he said not to long ago it was any where from 4-6 inches. putting 14 running guides on a rod of that length isn't even close you realize that you would be cramming them in to a length of 61 1/2 inches + a guide about every 4 3/16 inch.
where the problems are coming from using this concept is partly because they are low frames and micro rings all in the name of weight reduction BUT the weight saved is minimal and you really can't feel it as it changes the balance point to the back lower 1/3 of the rod .
that is why the spiral wrap is becoming the best option for bait casting rods with the use of the smaller concept guide set.
If it were up to me I would do a spiral wrap and I can guarantee that you will have a great preforming rod and will cast like a hot knife through butter and it would require about 9- 10 guides plus tip top. unless you want it to be a top guided rod

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: JOHN BURKE (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2017 09:15PM

Thanks, Matthew and Spencer. I am definitely a newbee to this concept. Thanks. Spencer, would you use the 45 degree jig on weighting and bending the top section of the rod?
Matthew, I would like to learn more about doing a spiral wrap on a build. Where can I find setting (I guess angles) and spacing of guides?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 16, 2017 09:36PM

John, use the search function on this site. As stated above, you do not weight the line thru the guides more then enough to see there path after you weight just the tip top to get the flex you are looking for.

Read the article on static placement in the "library".

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 16, 2017 11:19PM

here is a start watch it and some of the others on U tube [youtu.be] and then you can E mail me and I will send you my phone if you want to call. your first one might be a bit of a learning curve but once you get it under your belt you will do it as often as you can for casting rods, trolling rods too
as for the 45 degree bend on that rod no your never gong to get a fish that will do that unless he is right below your boat or a real monster.
the 45 thing is mainly for the saltwater rods for big fish Tuna, marlin, shark etc. as they often have a fight right at the boat side and the rod nearly doubles over. the only fish that I ever got that did that to me was a musky at 50 inches and 31.4 pounds and I had the rod for it.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2017 12:11AM

John,
On my first rods I had no jig to put the rod in, I just closed the rear grip in a drawer, than supplied the remaining necessary bend through the placement of the load on the floor. I start my process with about a third of my end load in the rod and progress in the bend as the rod load gets larger, I do this because as the load increases all rod tips straighten and starts pointing at the fish, which to me makes the guide placement in the tip not as important as the rest of the rod.
I've not done it, but I imagine you could also use a bookcase, stacking books on the rod till it's tight and won't move, than put in your bend. I've CC'd rods that way and it worked well.
There is more than one way to do things, the simple process of building the rod is the important part, how you get there has many avenues.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 17, 2017 12:55PM

The blank tip should be 90-degrees to the butt. Can't tell from your post but you might be over-bending the blank. With small runners you won't be able to get the line off the blank completely but a "rub" is better than having the line drop below the blank under load.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster