I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide foot preparation
Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: July 14, 2017 07:55PM

I'm still using a file and prepping my guides by hand. What is everyone else doing out there?

Nick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide foot preparation
Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.183.---)
Date: July 14, 2017 08:10PM

I use this: [www.amazon.com]

Using a 1000 or 1500 grit belt; it takes a light touch, and with practice, about ten seconds per guide foot.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 14, 2017 08:19PM

For saltwater rods, I do nothing. It often is possible to handle the issue by wrapping onto the foot about 5 wraps, then sliding them down the foot to close the wrap to the threads right at the foot, then continuing your wrap up the foot. Burnish all the wrap as a final step.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 14, 2017 08:25PM

Use a hook file, small, handy and gives me a very smooth result.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 14, 2017 08:29PM

I/m with Gary. The Work Sharpe makes quick work of guide feet preparation. My set of diamond files is now in the retired tools box.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 14, 2017 08:31PM

I'm like Micheal, rarely if ever file guide feet. I have no problem getting the thread over the toe of the guide. From what I have seen is that filing the finish off the guide foot increases the chance for corrosion. I use my rods in both fresh and saltwater, so why take the chance.
Norm

Posted by: Larry Pollock (---.dhcp.chtrptr.net)
Date: July 14, 2017 10:14PM

This is the greatest invention since a pocket on a shirt. Grinds and polishes in one operation.

cratex.com/Products/Rubber-Abrasives

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 14, 2017 10:18PM

because I think out of the box this is what I do and have done with no problems after ward
file grind what ever you choose after that I use the powered heat jig paint and just heat the end of the guide foot and give it a quick dip and it seals the exposed metal !!

just pick a color either to match the blank of there is black and also silver & gold

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2017 10:20PM by Matthew Paul.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2017 12:21AM

I use a 1 inch x 30 inch belt sander. I generally use about a 220 grit sand paper. I hold the guide foot at right angles to the sanding belt, so the sand paper puts fine grooves in the top surface of the guide which nicely helps to hold the thread in place on the foot.

For small guides, I use a holding tool that I made out of a piece of blank and a machine screw and wing nut. I sanded down the head of the machine screw so that there is essentially nothing sticking out above the guide ring to get in the way of the guide prep.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

A source for the belt sander: \

[www.harborfreight.com]

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: July 15, 2017 07:27PM

Thanks for the response guys. Got some options to think about

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 17, 2017 05:02PM

Matthew, the powder paint thing is an excellent idea!

Posted by: Earl Estrada (172.58.169.---)
Date: July 17, 2017 10:57PM

^ What Lynn said!

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 18, 2017 07:22PM

I use a bench grinder. Always on the finer stone. Kinda tight on small guides. but works!

Posted by: George Neuberger (12.236.40.---)
Date: July 20, 2017 10:17AM

Dremel tool works for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster