I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: TO SPINE OR NOT TO SPINE, YET AGAIN!
Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2017 01:01PM

Hi Tommy,

If you desire, I can talk with you on techniques. My email is accessible.
In a few minutes I will be off to a field to work on my consistency and get in my weekly walk.

I have a 12 foot BWC XH Ugly Stik. Great rod. I was able to cast it 545 feet in the field. What makes it great is being able to leave it in the car and not worry and its durability.

Don Becker

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 17, 2017 04:38PM

I'll confuse the issue ever farther. Were one to build a casting rod with regard to the spine, it would be up to the customer or builder to decide whether the spine would be on the top or bottom. Assuming it uses a right hand crank reel, which all did at one time, and many still do, the spine would be on the side of the rod during the cast. If being cast properly, the reel handle would be straight up during the cast.

Posted by: Tommy Bee (79.79.170.---)
Date: July 20, 2017 06:46AM

Thanks for your input

It seems everybody will always want to differ, conflict and disagree on this

I will build with the backbone at the back and seek rods built this way as that is what I want

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 20, 2017 05:27PM

If it makes you happy to spine a rod then do it! It's easy to do, takes less than a minute, and won't hurt a thing. If you believe it improves the rod's performance, even better! Belief is a powerful thing.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.193.96.---)
Date: July 23, 2017 05:25PM

Tommy Bee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Am I right that there has been no scientific
> testing done on this subject?
>
> That surprises me in such a supermassive
> participation interest as angling.
>
> Surely a robot could be used to ''cast'' a rod on
> a dead straight axis (also used to pull a blank to
> destruction on a dead straight axis) to thus
> measure durability and casting accuracy, torque
> etc. on both spined and unspined rods?

St Croix does have a machine to test durability and will test a blank until it is destroyed, [www.tackletour.com] it's about midway through the article. They have found the spine makes no difference in the durability of the blank, because of that they build on the straightest axis. It seems as though you have made up your mind and want to spine the blank. More power to you if you want to spine your blank, however you keep asking the same question over and over again until you get the answer that you want to hear. The best way to settle it for yourself is to test and confirm your results. I have done it both ways and have noticed no difference either way, others will argue that I'm wrong and I get it, but don't condemn the way I build a rod because you're of a different mind. I don't build on the spine and have never had a casting or breakage issue because of the spine, car doors and ceiling fans on the other side don't care if a rod is spined or not lol.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 23, 2017 09:24PM

Very well stated Mark

Ron Weber

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster