I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What I've Noticed I Need to Work as a New Builder
Posted by: Dan Martin (---.sub-174-201-27.myvzw.com)
Date: July 14, 2017 12:12PM

I've built a half a dozen so far and noticed a few things I think I need to work on to get to the next level. My rods work great - they are for me and how I fish, have only built one for a friend. I'm very happy with their function but fit and finish could be better. The rods are mostly lighter to medium saltwater types, flounder, seabass bottom rods, spiral wraps on the conventional ones.

- I need to work on lessening the OD of all grips. I don't have a proper lathe, which is what I think I would need, to sand down rear and for-grips. They just seem rather bulky to me still on the rod.
- I don't prefer to work with winding checks. I like making smooth ramps with finish near the top of the for-grip. I think it might look nicer with winding checks.
- I need to work on more intricate and measured trim bands and decorative butt wraps. I'm currently putting a small trim bands at the front or rear of underwraps. I haven't done any under the guides or any olive branches or anything like that. I'm very happy with the simple cross wrapped decorative butts but I notice that my intersections are note exactly straight down the center of the blank. You'd only notice if you were looking for such things and it still gives a great colorful pop to the rod. I'll keep working at it.
- I think I might need a finishing motor as I'm currently just applying finish on a 6 rpm drying motor. I think things would be much more level if I had an equipment upgrade in that department.
- I might be better of with a heat gun for popping bubbles and helping to get the finish to roll. This would be instead of my current Bic lighter setup.
- I've learned not to decide to make your first rod build in all metallic threads. It's a fickle thing to work with, especially first time around.

Some other info I'll add:
- I'm currently using Threadmaster finish and like it fine. I did not like procote. It never got as hard as I thought it should for me even after buying the 3cc ketchup packets to make sure I was getting as close to 1/1 mixture as I could. I'm using 4cc syringes to mix my Threadmster now and am doing just fine with that I think. Those are the only 2 I've tried and I'm happy I've got one I like on the second brand but maybe I'll try some others just to see.
-Of the rods I've built I'm happiest with the Phenix (composite crankbait rod I use for shallow flounder), St. Croix SCII 8' heavy swimbait (I knida turned it into a seabass or tog type, maybe deep flounder drifting or jigging, and the lightest Seeker Hercules blank I just finished last night (my first attempt at EVA covered in shrink tube, had a few issues there but think it's still passable as good looking). I've heard the Seekers aren't what they used to be, learned after I bought it that they're not making them in their own facility anymore, but I'll have to fish it and see how the blank holds up over time. I am very impressed with the Phenix rod and hope to make some more using their blanks. The other few I've built one are Mudhole's MHX rods starting out on kits for a vertical jigger and lite spinner, and a little lamiglas discount priced blank - some kind of freshwater composite rod I did up for perch type fishing. And a few repairs to my commercially bought stuff and for friends. I'm having a great time and plan on continuing.

Just interested in what you all learned along the way and where the stumbles were? What equipment is necessary do you all think to make a rod really look great, not just fish great? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What I've Noticed I Need to Work as a New Builder
Posted by: Earl Estrada (156.75.79.---)
Date: July 14, 2017 12:35PM

I to am very new to this hobby/art! Sounds like you know your weak spots!

One thing I can mention, because I built all my own dryers and winding setups, is that you can find a VERY large selection of cheap "drying motors" on Amazon. I have bought 3 different ones, each with a different purpose. They are called "synchronous 120v motors" and they come in a wide array of speeds. I have a 5-6 RPM, a 15-18, and a 30-36.

I havent found what I should use each one for yet, but I have found that with the thicker, high build Flex Coat, works AMAZING with the 5-6 RPM motor. Would be a lot easier to apply the epoxy with one of the faster ones, but the drying result is SUPER GLASSY AND GLOSSY! I assume the faster motors would work better with lower viscosity finishes, like lite builds, or even Perma Gloss, which is why i got them.

Anyway, just my 2 that may help you with the drying!

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 14, 2017 01:24PM

Dan

Two thoughts, the first of which is that grip diameter is a highly personal thing. If a grip feels right it probably is. I've got large hands and grips I make of myself are oversize. Yes, they look odd, but they don't tire me out using them. You can build a poor man's cork lathe for little $s. Take a look at the Flex Coat videos and other lathes for cork and build your own.

The #1 culprit for a finish that is not level is the builder and not the epoxy brand or equipment. It is very possible to obtain a great, level finish with nothing more that cardboard box with V notches - no motors, no nothing. It's not as convenient as a motorized device, but it works. One of the ironies of rod finishing is that turning the rod by hand for the first 30 minutes to an hour can produce a superior result.

Posted by: Mark Logan (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: July 14, 2017 11:22PM

I find, especially with bigger rods and saltwater rods, bigger is better and all my grips look huge compared to factory but when the rod is in your hand for 6 straight hours, they certainly reduce fatigue. i was taught a long time ago that aesthetics sell rods but don't necessarily mean a great casting or comfortable rod, especially with fly rods. When I build rods, I try to bring a factory rod as a comparison and nobody has ever wanted a factory thin grip on anything smaller than a 3 weight ever. and my saltwater fly rods (8wt or larger) are typically 0.20" or larger always. they feel great and look huge.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 15, 2017 03:07PM

Personally, I like my rods to feel as comfortable and be as light as possible. No one looking at my rods when I am fishing, haha.

Posted by: Rich Henderson (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2017 10:26PM

Dan seems you are off to a good start, here are a few things that I've picked up on from a few other custom builders and my own experience.

Grips are a personal thing mostly, but can be a deciding factor if your selling your rods. You might want to use preformed or proven grip sets. A lathe of some sort, from simple to full blown wood lathe, but they do help if you are into turning your own grips, if so I recommend the investment.
Winding checks and trim band / rings are a easy way to dress up a rod or use them for your transitions, some guys have perfected their own ramps? but again if selling your rods, probably a good investment.
Finishing motors or turners are great and another item that helps in most production situations, and I've found a great tool in my production, I have several.
I also use a heat gun, but at times will use a alchohol bubble buster, or lighter in some situations rarely.
Thread epoxy is another personal item, I have friends who like or swear by another brand than I, but again, I have found a product that works well for me and I've stuck with it. A rod builder in my opinion finds what works for him and perfects his own application process. Certainly some work better than others in a given environment.
* One thing I've determined is you have to have confidence in whatever you use. This was great advice given to me by a long time rod builder who told me to pick a style and then perfect it if you will. He told me to base my style components off proven methods and choose what works best for me. My first rods were basically designed off a successful line of rods, that I liked, and then I worked on perfecting my own style from them. After I had gotten comfortable and good building them, I would change little things that I felt made the rod better. He said to duplicate a proven rod if possible but build it with better components or assemble it with better quality and components and it has served me well. Yes I have made many changes to my rods over the years, but after I had mastered the rod I wanted.

I think of a rod as a tool instead of a decorative rod, what I mean is I always choose a proven product first, then if I want to make slight changes, like decorative wrap, custom grips, etc. I'm not changing or reinventing the wheel. I build Bass fishing rods, and I've been called a perfectionist, so I build rods that work for my application, then if a guy wants something different I go into my custom tinkerer mode and let him know it's a one of and go from there.
One thing I've come to realize is there are many tools & products offered today to help the rod builder, some work better than others, but most of them all work and were designed to help make the rod builder build a better product or be more proficient. This is the area that depends on the builder, his shop surroundings and situation.
I know guys who can build an awesome rod with very few commercial tools and a cardboard box, but I also know guys that have come to understand and use the latest greatest tools, both can be successful. It's your choice or decision on which route you want to take and how you want to get there. Remember this, with some things come a trade off, and this is truly what makes custom rod building in my opinion such a appealing art. Ultimately there are no short cuts, just things that you will pick up on that make your build stand out from the other.

Sorry to be so long winded, and I could go on and on, but I've adapted and made changes to my style if you will by allowing myself to be open enough to accept there might be ways to improve, simplify or speed up my process. In the end each rod you build will be a learning experience and will help you when you choose to take the next step.
P.S Some of the best rods I've built to date are rods that I knew would stand up and last for the task at hand, and now thinking back some of my best rods were simple rods, I knew would work because I had confidence and experience building that combination.
I do not have all the latest greatest building items, just keep around the ones I know, work for me. I hope this in informative and will help, keep at this craft, as it is very rewarding.

Rich Henderson

Posted by: Joe Doyle (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2017 06:45AM

Dan,

You mentioned flounder, sea bass, and tog, so I am assuming that you are in the Northeast somewhere. If you are, check out the NERBs group that Billy Vivona has created. He has gatherings throughout the winter, and every rod building question you have will be answered. He also goes deep into decorative wraps and custom grips. He is truly an artist, and one that is passionate about passing his knowledge onto others.

Google NERBs or Northeast Rod Builders, and you will find his site.

Good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster