I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Plugging male ferrule ends?
Posted by: Bret Surrage (---.dsl.snantx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 11, 2017 08:26PM

Hello all, Question about male ferrule ends on multi section blanks and the Plugging of that portion? what is the normal for plugging them on blanks that do not come this way? { I searched the library but did not find anything unless I am asking the wrong question} So far all I have built is fly rods. any help would be great.

Thank you all
Bret

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Plugging male ferrule ends?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 11, 2017 09:05PM

Cork or EVA works well. Or, plug them with a blob of any good gel type epoxy. Trondak U-40, ProProducts and Flex Coat all make good ones.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2017 10:42PM

Bret,
I take a piece of solid fiberglass or graphite blank that is larger than the end of the blank that needs filling.

I cut off a few inches and chuck it into a drill. Then, I spin the blank plug up to maximum speed and hold it against the coarse sanding belt that I have on my belt sander. I check the size from time to time until I have a nice fit.
Then I take 5 minute epoxy and glue the plug in the blank. Of course the end of the larger plug will be sticking out of the blank.
Finally, I use a dermal tool or other cut off abrasive device to trim the plug flush with the top of the new blank.

It can be done more quickly than it takes to read this statement.

Easy, quick and durable.

Be safe

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2017 12:43AM

I'm with Tom, when I put the the reel seat and grips on I always have enough gel epoxy left over to put in the male side of the ferrules.

Posted by: John DeMartini (165.225.32.---)
Date: July 12, 2017 09:04AM

Bret

It seems to me if it were critical it would come plugged. However to keep from going crazy I would follow Rogers' advise. The fitted plug should be 3/8 to 1/2 long.

Good fishing

John

Date: July 12, 2017 10:14AM

It isn't necessarily critical, but being at the end of the "tube" it is easier for it to become crushed or collapsed. A semi-soft plug reduces that possibility by a large margin.

Posted by: John DeMartini (104.129.204.---)
Date: July 12, 2017 11:19AM

Point well taken it involves a minimum of effort and the rewards are great.

John

Posted by: Bret Surrage (---.dsl.snantx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 12, 2017 11:32AM

Ok, thank you all for the advise, It was driving me crazy to leave them how the blank came, I will have to go with Tom advise but I do like how Roger said to handle it, I will have to get some solid ones first to make them. Thank you every one for all your great help.

Bret

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 12, 2017 01:02PM

Just a note on plugging a male ferrule with anything solid, like solid glass.
Be very careful not to make the plug so tight that you "force" it into the opening.
It can be snug, but be cautious about expanding the OD of the male ferrule
so as to make it too tight to fully seat up into the female side.
I just got done with a repair and that came into question.
The plug was trimmed a little more and that solved the issue before being glued in.
Another example of "dry fitting" and measuring twice, cutting once.
And once the plug is glued in, it's pretty much a done deal.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2017 01:06PM

Ron,
Exactly,
This is one of the reasons that I sand down the plug from an oversized piece of solid material and leave the larger portion of the plug on - when gluing.
I can have a nice loose fit, coat it with 5 minute epoxy and it makes a nice plug without changing the size of the blank. The oversized plug keeps the plug from falling in during glue up and it only takes a moment to slice off the oversized plug after the glue is dry.

Good luck

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: July 12, 2017 03:32PM

I have heard about epoxy injected in then tipped over on a sheet of plastic to make it flush.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 12, 2017 04:21PM

Sounds like the simplest, easiest, solution is also the most robust, least likely to get screwed up.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 12, 2017 06:25PM

There can be an issue with putting a solid plug in the blank. This is due to the fact that when a circular tube flexes. it becomes an oval. A solid plug will not permit this transition and thus becomes a flat spot in the over all rod flex. Not a major issue with one ferrule, but is multiplied by the number of ferrules on a multi piece rod.

Date: July 12, 2017 08:02PM

That's why a semi-soft plug is the better option. Cork, EVA or gel epoxy.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2017 08:50PM

I wonder if hot melt glue would work?

Might be too messy

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 12, 2017 09:31PM

If you have a set of hollow punches you can punch out plugs from a pencil eraser or a glob of rod-bond fills it nicely.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 13, 2017 04:15PM

I use a piece of rubber "O" ring material. You can get it in any size you want and it's cheap. if it doesn't fit,,,make it fit. I would never glue in something that won't give a little. Just like Phil said.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 13, 2017 04:23PM

I have also sharpened the end of a rifle case and punched a slug out of a piece of EVA. A 25-06 case worked perfectly on the last 2 piece fly rod I built that did not have a plug in it. Scraping the inside edge of the case mouth with a pocket knife will sharpen it keen as a briar.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 14, 2017 11:47PM

I get the little tapered rubber plugs at my local ace hardware. Push them in, and trim to fit!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster