I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod holder for static test
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2017 07:30PM

I had a home made rod holder a few years back,to do a static test , but the thing was it always turned my rod when i put more weight to bend the rod, just wondering if there is a better solution.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod holder for static test
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 10, 2017 07:45PM

Yes there is; it's called a wife. Sort of pricy and high maintenance.

Date: July 10, 2017 08:02PM

Yea LaMar, and to much static!Haha

Posted by: Jon Kistler (---.102.221.100.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: July 10, 2017 08:34PM

My way is kinda crude but effective...
I took 2 pieces of 2x4, each about a foot long and routered a 1"x1" grove into them. I padded the grooves with some scrap EVA leftovers and use the wood blocks to sandwich the rod grip. I clamp the rod inside the blocks and then to an old "Bean Bag" game goal that the kids don't play with anymore. The 45* face of the goal holds the rod on a nice angle...

Date: July 10, 2017 08:57PM

Kinda samething here, i took some 1x4 boards and cut them to triangle, 45 degree. Then took a plastic tube and put some foam in it, glued it to the wood triangles ,cut slits in the foam to put rod in. But i think the eod will still turn when i put weight on the rod when loading it. But will have try it out to make sure. Then figure out how to secure the rod in the tube.

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2017 10:09PM

This will start something.
Build the rod on the spine and it wont do that.
and I have found that that can happen even with multi piece rods
I built a 10w awhile back and got it off spine and when a 30lb.+ rock fish jumps on, the rod twists in my hand.
I have wondered about casting accuracy, flying a little left or right, but never tested that.

Curt

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 10, 2017 10:09PM

When static load testing I run a line from the reel through the taped on guides and tip top, and attach a light weight which hangs from the tip. I tie a second line to the tip top and this line is then tied to the load producing weight. When loaded the rod will bend naturally unencumbered by the guides which stay put and allow you to easily adjust the guides by looking at the line passing through them. I call it the two line static test and is briefly outlined in the static test article in the library. [www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Date: July 10, 2017 10:12PM

P S I use a rod holder with bearings built into the holder

Curt

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 10, 2017 10:18PM

Even if you spine the blank, when you load the blank with the line running through the guides, the load will torque the rod and cause it to turn so the guides are underneath. The major reason people do a spiral wrap is to prevent this from happening.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2017 10:41PM

curtis drumm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This will start something.
> Build the rod on the spine and it wont do that.
> and I have found that that can happen even with
> multi piece rods
> I built a 10w awhile back and got it off spine
> and when a 30lb.+ rock fish jumps on, the rod
> twists in my hand.
> I have wondered about casting accuracy, flying a
> little left or right, but never tested that.
>
> Curt

It will do that once you put guides on it, if it's a casting rod with guides on top. Put the guides on the bottom and it won't do that, no matter where you orient the spine. Guide orientation determines if a rod will twist or not. It has nothing to do with spine.

Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.vastbb.net)
Date: July 10, 2017 10:56PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When static load testing I run a line from the
> reel through the taped on guides and tip top, and
> attach a light weight which hangs from the tip. I
> tie a second line to the tip top and this line is
> then tied to the load producing weight. When
> loaded the rod will bend naturally unencumbered by
> the guides which stay put and allow you to easily
> adjust the guides by looking at the line passing
> through them. I call it the two line static test
> and is briefly outlined in the static test article
> in the library.
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> l
> Norm

I used this method on the last rod I built. It was much easier for me to adjust my guide spacing.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2017 12:09AM

Lorenzo,
Pretty easy solution.
Just turn the rod over so that the reel and the guides are on the bottom of the rod.

No, loading the rod won't be exactly as it will be in use, but you will be able to get a good idea as to the line flow and the loading of the blank.

I assume that you are talking about a casting rod.

Of course in the case of a spinning rod, the reel and guides are already on the bottom so that they will not twist.

When I load a casting rod, I just put the tip of the rod on the ceiling and load the rod by putting increased pressure on the tip. I have the line running through the guides, and it is easy and simple to check the line flow, guide size and correct number of guides by this method.

Take care

Date: July 11, 2017 06:14AM

Thanks for all the input, you all have a good one.

Date: July 12, 2017 05:05PM

By the way, how about the butt guide, how should the line look going through the butt guide on the load test? Should it just touch the top of the butt guide ot lower?

Date: July 13, 2017 09:49PM

the guides are on the bottom of a fly rod and it turns under load.

It seems that people are forgetting physics.
Therefore the spine does have an affect!

Curt

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 13, 2017 11:42PM

Curt, are you saying that under load on a fly rod built not on spine, it will try to turn guides up? Not possible as the load is on the bottom!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 14, 2017 11:14AM

Phil is correct. If the guides are on the bottom of the rod, you can't apply load from beneath the rod and think it's going to rotate upward. Impossible. And this holds true regardless of where you orient the spine.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.183.---)
Date: July 14, 2017 08:15PM

I have a very crude but effective rod holder for static load testing. A piece of pvc pipe, lined with pipe insulation, duct taped to one leg of my bench. Never had a rod rotate while testing.

Date: July 16, 2017 08:38PM

No of corse not, but it will turn about 5 to 7 degrees, this is on a 12 wt. rod,have only built up to 7wts. I have not nottised this effect, never built a 12w before.
but the affect still exists. My gess I'm shure is the heaver the rod the more pronounced the affect.

Curt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster