I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping tip top guides
Posted by: Gib Portwood (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 10, 2017 07:23PM

Hello everyone,

I'd like to get educated about wrapping tip top guides. In the past, we haven't wrapped them because they were glued on, and I assume that was ok?

But my son wants to wrap the tip top for the rod he is working on now. We have lots of questions about how to do it correctly... but instead of asking them all and many not being necessary, I'd like to hear from the community what they do when they wrap the tip top. Any special techniques, good tips, etc???

Thanks,
Gib

Father to William (15 yrs), who I hope has found his passion in custom rod building!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping tip top guides
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 10, 2017 08:53PM

does he want to do a decorative finish wrap or is he wanting to use a double foot wrap on guide
either one you do it as you wood do a guide wrap and finish it the same

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2017 09:11PM

Two ways to go about it. Wrap from the edge of the tiptop outward. Or, if you use hot melt glue as I do, you may wish to wrap towards the tiptop tube and then up and over it for about 1/8th or so of an inch. Then you can finish up onto the thread. This locks the tiptop in place in conjunction with the hot melt, which gives a bit more peace of mind on heavier duty applications. Obviously it's still an easy matter to remove and replace the top if it should become damaged.

Most likely you will only be able to support the inboard side of the tiptop so ease up on your thread tension a bit. This will take a bit of practice.

Posted by: Gib Portwood (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 11, 2017 03:00PM

Great. That is what we wanted to know. Tension is a bit of an issue... I think we will just use bobbins instead of the normal tensioning device.

Thank you,
Gib

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 11, 2017 08:56PM

I just start my tip-top guide wraps as I would a guide wrap and stop it at the edge of the tip top. Then I finish apply the finish the same as a guide wrap on the butt side and run the finish slightly onto the tip-top tube. I also lighten up the thread tension slightly on the last few guide wraps and the top wrap just to make the thread pull through a little easier.

rog

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 12, 2017 02:21AM

Gib,
I think most would agree wrapping a tip top is not required and simply decorative unless the tip top has a tang as with Fuji MN’s. That being said, most rods I have seen employ a tip top wrapped similarly to the guides, assumedly for cosmetic sake. But the wrap, and consequent finish, on the tip does add weight at the worst possible point of the rod, if that is a concern. While a firm believer of “form-follows-function”, I still utilize an abbreviated, continuation wrap on my tip tops.
By the way, did you ever employ my drawings to build a thread tensioner / carriage?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2017 01:08PM

Mark,
A very common thing to do with ice fishing rods - with oversized guides is to use a guide for a tip top.

Easy to have another guide matching the runners that are large to avoid icing. Not necessarily so easy to find an appropriate tip top of the same size.

Take care

Posted by: Chris Zarza (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2017 11:13PM

Typically I'll use 5 minute epoxy for the guides. I make sure I get everything set up (tip, epoxy, rags, denatured alcohol).

I lay the rod guides down on my wrapper. Put epoxy on the blank. Put the tip on while swirling it around. Take it back out and put a smidge more. Clean up any excess. I then let the gravity align the guide with some minor adjustments. Once it starts to set, I check it to make sure it's aligned, then set it back down.

Wrapping the tip is mostly decor. It finishes a rod in my opinion. I wrap starting at the bottom of the tube, or a few millimeters on the tube itself, depending how long it is. I aim for nice looking proportions. Do any trim work you want on it, then apply your finish. I apply finish on the tip as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2017 12:25PM by Chris Zarza.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster