I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MW Guides on Long Panfish Rod
Posted by: Bryan Yates (---.townes.net)
Date: July 10, 2017 07:08PM

Thought I'd throw this out here to get other's experience with MicroWave guides on long light power rods.
I use MW guides on most of my builds, but have a 9' 2-6lb light action spinning blank, on which I'll be throwing 1/16oz jigs. Just wondering if anyone has
run into any problems with the MW system on longer rods. I realize I'll need several additional running guides, and I'm wondering if the additional guides will create drag issues on the cast. Distance is the goal. Thanks much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MW Guides on Long Panfish Rod
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 10, 2017 09:18PM

I think you would be good to go with 9 guides total I would just move the spacing a bit from the stripper you can move up as much as 2 inches and not have a problem there and the following guides an inch or inch and a half and don't see a need to add more guides it will only add more weight and make it more wippy I would tape on the guides and load test it at about a 45 degree angle or test cast it and that will be you best solution it will let you know if you need more running guides or not

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2017 12:12AM

Since it is a light action rod, I am guessing that you are going to need about 11 guides for the right line action.

With a light tipped rod, you really need to have about 3 guides in the first two feet to insure that the blank loads properly at the tip section.

Good luck

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: July 11, 2017 04:55AM

I have used the Microwave guide system on Panfish rod up to 8' long. They perform flawlessly.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.opg.com)
Date: July 11, 2017 10:31AM

The first 3 guides in the MW system are important to be placed in the correct position. the spacing from the choke guide on wards you can move .

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2017 06:02PM

I can't think of any style guide that cares how long the rod is, your over-thinking it.

Posted by: Bryan Yates (---.townes.net)
Date: July 13, 2017 06:35AM

Thanks, all. I always use the MW guide spacing requirements for the first three guides, and plan on doing the same here. The extra weight of adding additional runners on such a long, light rod is something to consider when adding extra runners, and I will load test and adjust.
To Spencer's point, the issue is not so much the style of guide, but the SYSTEM's application to a particular blank which is a bit out of the norm for me.
thanks again.

Posted by: Randy Hively (50.106.168.---)
Date: July 13, 2017 09:20AM

I have used the Microwave guides on several long lightweight rods and the perform great. I build 10' and longer spinning rods on 3 and 4 weight fly rod blanks. They are being used for fishing for trout in lakes. They are set up with 2 or 4lb test line and light weight baits. I do a static test for guide placement. I have tried other guides, but I like the Microwave the best for this application. Never any complaints from the users.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster