I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trophy Catfish Rods
Posted by: Chris Duey (---.neb.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2017 02:30PM

I've been wanting to get into rod building for a while. While there's not much for fishing I haven't done, trophy catfishing is my forte. I'll catch some smaller of course, but I'm targeting flathead and blue catfish 50 pounds or better. I've been searching for 7'6" glass blanks in a Heavy Mod/Fast action. I looked all through Mud Holes blanks and didn't find a match, so I was wondering if anyone on here has some suggestions. I fish very swift water on the Missouri River, 5-6 mph. I originally used H/F graphite Musky rods. They worked well, but I've switched to almost exclusively using circle hooks and I feel that I've missed a certain amount of hits due to the rods being to fast. Anything like the MH blanks like TWC and others use, while the action is good for circle hooks, tends to be at least 1/2 loaded just by the current while anchor fishing. I have found a few rod companies that make rods I like, but like I said, I'd really like to try and build my own perfect rods. I have been told that power and action ratings are pretty subjective and not nearly as knowledgeable as I should be as far as building rods. Any suggestions? I'd appreciate it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trophy Catfish Rods
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 10, 2017 03:29PM

a few more clues as to what test line you use and how much weight
I am guessing you could find several Musky blanks that would work well

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: July 10, 2017 04:04PM

As far as what I use, 60lb. mono main line with 4-12 ounces of lead. Rods I use are rated 20-60 and 2-12. And yeah, I used to use musky rods, but I think glass offers a better MF action on a heavy rod than graphite. Plus, I'd be making them for pig cats so durability also plays in glass' favor. Like I said, I looked through mudholes entire catalog. Figured I'd find a few to pick through since there's a more than a few production rods in a 7'6" Heavy, Moderate-fast glass. Didn't even find one that fit the basic specs I'm looking for. If I'd have to order custom blanks, I'm wondering whether it'd even be worth the investment!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 04:13PM by Chris Duey.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 10, 2017 04:40PM

ROdgeeks Extreme Composites XC 735 is probably going to fit the bill for what you are doing. While I designed these for SW fishing, they make excellent catfish rods. They are 7'3 (you can extend to 7'6), but Rodgeeks is about to release the 8'ers that we've been working on for over a year now in the near future. I do not have a release date on the 8' series, but the model numbers will be XC 802 803 804 805 and 806.

Here is a link to their website with teh XC blanks: [rodgeeks.com]

Date: July 10, 2017 05:07PM

Thanks Billy. I will check them out. I have historically found 7'6" balances the fighting/casting/netting/boat storage dimensions I've come to prefer. I do have a 7'3" bumpin' rod but that's for a different application. I just don't get how 70% of the quality production cat rods are 7'6" but I can't find a blank with those specs anywhere. Thanks again man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 05:13PM by Chris Duey.

Date: July 10, 2017 05:34PM

Now before you call me an idiot, realize that when it comes to rod building, I am fully aware of that fact. But I'm not sure what 5 on the power meant. I'm used to M, M/H, H, XH. I'm a Nebraskan so my saltwater vernacular is limited at best. If it helps I took a mic to the rods Ive been using, right below the tip top I got .235 so that's a 15 as far as I know, and got .76 just above the foregrip. I don't really want to knock the buttcap off but I'm guessing with 18/20" of grips, that'd put me at around .9 for the butt measurement? I haven't been able to find anything close to that so far.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 10, 2017 08:51PM

there a lot of options out there and yes the rod geeks has some good offerings
you might not find a blank that will mic out with those specs the blanks have been re done with new fibers and resins and become smaller in the Dia and mic out smaller but preform like what you have you could take a f or xf in a 8 foot and cut it down and get the length you want you would take 3 off the tip and 3 off the butt and it will change the power /action to a medium
Billy is the guy that could give you the best ideas using rood geeks blanks for you build as he is part of the pro staff or you can call rod geeks and one of the staff will help you work out the perfect blank and set up for your needs.
most of my heavy builds are for musky for customers tossing 8-16 oz baits and want a longer rod and a few salt rigs for my buddies that wander south for the winter months.
hope this helps and good luck with them cats

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: July 10, 2017 09:41PM

hris, the 5 power means nothing at all, it's just w ay to list the blanks in order...so the 5 is heavier than teh 4, which is heavier than the 3 etc. TEH rod is rated 25-50#, and will handle sinker weights up to 20oz. TEH way I rated these, is for bottom fishing. So comparing to your 2-12oz musky blanks....those are rated to CAST 2-12o so they are quite stiff, with no softness anywhere in the blank. I rated the 735 2-6oz for casting, so this blank is not going to be as stiff in teh tip.

To give you an idea of how much power these blanks have, someone caught a 48 & 54 pound Striped Bass in a kayak a couple of weeks ago on the 735. A week prior, a 46 pound Striped Bass was landed on teh 731, which is rated 12-20#, ther's no shortage of power in these blanks - and you can land 200# fish on 8# rods, so what I just said really doesn't mean too much other than a lame sales pitch. But I'm telling you as the one who designed, tested and uses these XC blanks/rods on a daily basis - what you are going to be doing and catching they will be ideal for you application. YOu just have to determine if you want to spend the money on the blank because the retail @ $102 and teh glass blanks you were considering are a lot less $$.

Date: July 10, 2017 09:45PM

PS> Rodgeeks has no pro staff, we had a meeting at the ICRBE 2014 when Rodgeeks hit the market, and they agreed to let me design the Extreme Composite series for them. THat's the only "deal" I have with them...I also coordinate their ROd Building Workshop in the Fall & Spring at their Albany,NY office

Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 11, 2017 12:53AM

I called Seeker and asked about blanks that would work for catfish and circle hooks. They recommended Black Steel blanks, composite with soft tip and powerful butt. I tried 4 of their live bait blanks and love them . Now I have 8 from their Black Steel line.

Date: July 11, 2017 11:29AM

Are there any tutorials out there for how to cut a blank down and get the right action? Looks like I'd have to cut an 8' down to get a 7'6". I don't like longer than that because I fish from a boat by myself plenty. With the boat, I can get close enough so I don't need a 10 footer to launch anything, and when netting an 80 pounder by yourself in heavy current, anything over 7'6" makes it exponentially harder to net them. (It's hard enough with a 7'6") And if I do go that route I don't want to miscut a 102 dollar blank! Also thanks to everyone for sharing. Rod building is something I've wanted to get into for a long time now and it's nice to know there's folk out there willing to help.

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: July 11, 2017 01:47PM

Billy beat me to it to recommend the Rod Geeks X Comp that he was a huge part in developing. I built a 733 in neon green for catfish/ saltwater pier fishing in NC. I am not going after trophy 50lb plus catfish with this rod but if I was the heavier x comps in neon orange would be on the radar. I like the action with them, flexible tip but not floppy to handle some weight going to a smooth loading mid section then to a backbone butt section that puts the brakes on. If 7'6" is as long as you want to go I think 7'3" will work great and provide more leverage as long as it can cast far enough for you. If you want to extend 3 inches that could be easily done. I would think that a rod designed for party boat saltwater fishing capable to handle heavy sinkers for heavy current then having to pull a grouper from it's hole is very similar to what you need it to do.

Another line of blanks to check out are the United composites challenger elite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2017 06:16PM by David Miller.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2017 06:59AM

Oh I forgot to also add to check out the S glass fiberglass blanks from Rod Geeks, they have a 7'11" xxh 30-60lb mf action. I flexed these at the rod expo and they feel great. I believe they are based on or very similar to the St Croix Classic Cat rods that were discontinued but very highly regarded.

To cut it to size and action liking you would have to tape or zip tie some line with the heaviest sinker that you intend use right near the tip. See how it flexes the blank in the rod holder.If it looks like it is loaded too much move the line down in small moves down the blank to the point where it looks/feels best to cut the tip at and the rest cut from the butt.

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: July 12, 2017 12:45PM

Also I am almost sure that the Rod Geeks SG blanks are used in the St Croix Mojo Cat rods. On the St Croix site they have a 7'6" 30-60 rod. They have it listed as fast action but to me it more mf and the lure weight up to 16oz must be for dropping it down not casting. That is the problem with lure weights,action and lb ratings they are all subjective or not descriptive . Also with fishing for catfish many will use much higher lb rating braided line just for abrasion resistance so their ratings very likely for braid use.If you can find a store that has the St Croix cat rods to pull on, bring a line with a clip on both sides to hang some weights off the tip, they might think your crazy like me but since we fish for catfish they already think that anyways.

Another suggestion is to acid spiral wrap the guides, it makes the rod so much more stable in the rod holder and when fighting a fish. For a very durable guide I would look at the Pac Bay rugged ring, they are like Minima guides on steroids.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 13, 2017 06:09AM

Geez guys, great thread. Im going to copy and paste this information for future use.
Buzz

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2017 03:12PM

First pic is with (2) 5 oz sinkers on my xc 733 so you can see the bend, granted in real fishing situations it would be bouncing around with current and boat.

2nd pic with 5 lbs hanging to see the flex.

3rd pic showing how the guides spiral around the blank with the pulling force brings the line to the lowest point where it wants to go and most stable.
K
With this build I started with a XN alps 16 to mxn 10s for transitions them mxn 8s as running guides to 8 mm amtack nanolite tip. I positioned the 16mm butt guide to keep the line in the middle to use my low profile Citrix 350 or a round without line guide.For a heavier application rod that you want I would probably go with size 20 down to 10s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2017 03:55PM by David Miller.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster