I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Making a flat spot
Posted by: Rick Provencher (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: July 06, 2017 09:16PM

I am making a rod with a custom picture decal for the butt section. I did a couple LS layers with holo flakes, put a decal on, and then 2 more LS coats with smaller holo flakes to give a 3D look. So far it is awesome.I would like to put a name decal above the picture decal with the name going down the rod. For effect I would like the name to sit flat.

If I filed, cut, or sanded a small length up the blank, maybe just 1/4" wide, in the LS to add the word decal would I be able to apply finish a couple of coats of LS and have it round as a finished coat?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making a flat spot
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 06, 2017 10:34PM

not a good idea as it will weaken the blank as you will be removing some of the fibers the finish on the blanks are not that heavy ,if the blank is hollow you might end up cutting right through

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: July 07, 2017 07:01AM

As long as you don't sand through the LS you will be fine. The problem lies in trying to make it round again. That will require more finish and even more sanding. I would consider building a dam out of tape around your flat spot and decal and putting enough finish inside to make it round again. Allow it to dry fully then put the rod in your lathe and carefully work it back round with the tools and sandpaper. One final coat to shine everything back u should do the trick. Good luck

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2017 12:09PM

Rick,
The rod will look really great - without making a flat spot.

Simply not a good idea to try to make a flat spot on the blank.

Take care

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: July 07, 2017 01:46PM

He has 4 coats of LS Supreme on the area where the decal will sit. Depending on the thickness of his finish he should be able to sand a small flat area no problem. I would probably add a couple more coats to be safe if I was going to try it but again he's not sanding on the blank. He's sanding the already applied coats of finish.

Date: July 08, 2017 06:11PM

Victor Heal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He has 4 coats of LS Supreme on the area where the
> decal will sit. Depending on the thickness of his
> finish he should be able to sand a small flat area
> no problem. I would probably add a couple more
> coats to be safe if I was going to try it but
> again he's not sanding on the blank. He's sanding
> the already applied coats of finish.

Correct. I am not doing anything to the blank, I only want a tiny flat spot in the LS. I am going to try a sample piece and see how it turns out.

Date: July 08, 2017 06:41PM

I posted a pic of the progress so far in pics under misc... I want to put the name above the pic which is on the right side of pic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster