I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Problem with leader knot
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2017 11:30AM

Iam sitting up a NFC SM-SJ606 for a nephew that will be used mostly for dock skipping. I am using Minima 4F's for the runners and a size 6 tip. He will be using 15lb fluorocarbon as his running line and 20lb fluorocarbon for leader connected with albright knot. I hear a slight tic when i make under handed cast as if i was skipping the lure at the dock but i am using a 1/2oz practice plug. Also i have no flouro so i am using 12lb mono(Big Game) and 20lb (Seven Seas) mono. The knot is not hanging up or snagging and not affecting distance. Also if i make a overhand cast it seems it might affect the distance. I have used shock leader on surf rods and never had a problem like this. Anyone have any suggestions. I can't contact my nephew because it is a surprise. I almost forgot the tic is at the tip not coming thru the size 4 guides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2017 11:38AM by Roger Rierson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problem with leader knot
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 06, 2017 12:02PM

Using a fluorocarbon leader with a fluorocarbon running line makes little sense to me. Get rid of the leader and the knot and your problem will go away. If you want to use a leader then switch to braid as your running and connect your leader suing an FG knot. The FG knot is not only the strongest leader to braid connection but also the smallest, allowing the knot to easily and silently pass through the guides.
[www.netknots.com]
Norm

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2017 12:24PM

Roger,

As an alternative to the FG Knot, try the knot appearing in this Tacklewarehouse Video. The demonstration on how to try the knot starts at 7:00 minutes into the video. I have been using this know to attach braid to floro line and it works great, and it's easier to tie than the FG Knot, IMHO.

Here's a link to the video:

[www.tacklewarehouse.com]

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2017 02:31PM

Thanks Norman & Donald. I just found out his dad gave me wrong info. Reel #1 12lb fluro with no leader and reel #2 15lb braid with 10lb mono leader. Donald thanks for the video. Looks a lot easier than FG knot. Norman, yes that fluorocarbon to fluorocarbon seemed strange to me also.

Posted by: Tim I. Johnson (---.dsl.dytnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: July 06, 2017 05:54PM

Roger,
I use any where (mostly) 6-12 braid/micro dyneema to 6-14# fluorocarbon and also find a FG to be difficult in the boat or at the river, so what I do that really seems to improve the knot strength ( especially with lighter braid ) is to double the braid running line back on itself and then use fewer wraps, as instead of 6 down and 6 back up use 3 down and 3 up, forgot to mention I am talking about Albright style or " crazy alberto ". I know this isn't an answer to your question, it will still tick , don't know if you can ever cure that with braid to mono / fluorocarbon set up. But that is my favorite running leader combo too.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2017 02:21PM

Donald Campbell Sir just watched that Video and tied that knot using 17# Berkley mono (on hand) and 50# Braid, That ties a SMALL tight Knot that should fly thru your guides!
Ruler is showing 1/32 nds
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 02:22PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 13, 2017 09:03PM

I'm late to the party but fellas I have a question about the knot in the video don recommended. It's hard to see in video if he ends with a modified Albright knot or if the braid is tied to a single strand of leader. I tied what I think he's doing but it looks like an Albright knot. I appreciate any input. Thx

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster