I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow Immortal for dock skipping up to 1/2 oz...
Posted by: Rick Elrod (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 05, 2017 09:45AM

I have a Rainshadow Immortal blank on hand IMMS610 M XF I am considering cutting it down to use for skipping docks with up to 1/2 oz baits. Other than buying a task specific Shooter blank do you see any problems with this idea? Thinking of cutting 4-6 inches off of the butt. Only reason for doing this is because I already have this blank on hand.

Thanks in advance,
Rick Elrod

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow Immortal for dock skipping up to 1/2 oz...
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 05, 2017 07:04PM

Rick,
Is this still a kayak rod and if so are you cutting the blank for clearance reasons? If you have room for the blank than maybe just a little shorter grip length would give you the same result without worrying about loss of blank power and speed issues. Warranty could also be affected.
You can mess around with the blank without first cutting it, you can make some tape arbors for the reel seat to ride on and tape on your guides, leaving all the extra length out the back and unless your doing some casting where the back part will interfere, you'll get a feel for your end result. Than go with a shorter rear grip as I mentioned and see how you like it.
What I'm trying to get you to try is a rod built similar in construction to the rod Tom Kirkman built in the extending a blank article in the library, it also was a kayak rod if I remember right, and extended to around 6 1/2 ft. so we're in a similar ball park.

Date: July 05, 2017 09:53PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rick,
> Is this still a kayak rod and if so are you
> cutting the blank for clearance reasons? If you
> have room for the blank than maybe just a little
> shorter grip length would give you the same result
> without worrying about loss of blank power and
> speed issues. Warranty could also be affected.
> You can mess around with the blank without first
> cutting it, you can make some tape arbors for the
> reel seat to ride on and tape on your guides,
> leaving all the extra length out the back and
> unless your doing some casting where the back part
> will interfere, you'll get a feel for your end
> result. Than go with a shorter rear grip as I
> mentioned and see how you like it.
> What I'm trying to get you to try is a rod built
> similar in construction to the rod Tom Kirkman
> built in the extending a blank article in the
> library, it also was a kayak rod if I remember
> right, and extended to around 6 1/2 ft. so we're
> in a similar ball park.

Hi Spencer, thanks for the reply. This rod would be used for fishing from my bass boat. I have read so many articles and watched so many videos that my head is spinning. lol It seems that the majority opinion on this forum is that a 6.0 is ideal. Other places I see people throwing 7' + ! I understand the variables of angler stature and experience. I actually spent a couple of hours at a pond today throwing from the bank trying different lengths on both spinning and casting rods. I threw a wacky rigged Senko on a 6'6 m Veritas with a 2500 series Stradic and a 1/4 oz jig with a Rage tail craw from a 6'9 mh Vendetta using a Shimano Alderbaron 50. I used these because I have them. As was to be expected sometimes I threw them well, other times not so much. I am fishing a new to me body of water that is deep, clear, steep, and has little cover other than docks. As stated , I have the Immortal on hand and thought it could be cut down to work. After todays pond practice I think I learned that if I put in the time to practice I can use a longer blank. Would still love to hear others thoughts and opinions.
Thanks,
Rick Elrod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2017 09:55PM by Rick Elrod.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 05, 2017 11:01PM

I don't think you would have any problems skipping baits within a 6'10" rod. The extra fast tip will actually be of benefit to you for what you want to do. I have used rods from 6' to 7' for fishing around docks and piers and like extra fast rods for this. Skipping a bait is all in the wrist no matter the length of the rod, the extra fast tip makes it easier to accurately wrist snap a cast. You don't want your handle too long because because a long can get in the way. Dock fishing is not about distance but rather trajectory and accuracy. If you cut the rod you will slow it's action and possibly negate the advantage of an extra fast rod.
Norm

Date: July 06, 2017 07:54AM

Thank you Norman. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Regards,
Rick Elrod

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster