I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Possible 7' 4wt 3pc Brook Trout Build
Posted by: Brian Trussell (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 02, 2017 01:48PM

So I wanted to pose this question here, if this is not the appropriate place on the forum, I would appreciate it if the mods moved it rather than deleted this post.

I have an idea for a pack rod, specifically for hiking into and camping in deep Appalachian woods in WV. I prefer 1 pc rods but they are not ideal for these kind of adventures. I want this rod specifically for brook trout. While I prefer slow rods, a "fast glass" would be OK also. I am not a rod builder but I have an idea in my head of what I am looking for and I am searching for a rod builder to build it.

Specs: 6'6" - 7' 4wt 3pc (I am open to a 3wt if blank, size and color become an issue in 4wt, I would prefer it to be 7' but open to shorter if need be but nothing under 6'6")

Blank - High Quality

Blank Color - Green like a brook trout (translucent would be nice)

Cork - Something like the one pictured below. Can be cigar shaped (in fact I would prefer that but I am open)

Reel Seat - Engraved with a brook trout like the picture posted below or something similar (can be down locking or rings) I dont like uplocking real seats so I would much prefer that not be used. However I prefer downlocking to sliding rings. I would also be open to the JP Ross dark ash dyed green brook trout engraved reel insert. If that is going to be used might as well get a mayfly engraved on the butt cap also.

Guides - High quality matching the real seat in metal color

Agate Stripper - Green

Thread wraps - Color coordinated like a brook trout fin - Mostly Orange, then Black, White tipped

Hook Keeper - loose Ring style

Detail - vermiculations pattern near the cork about 1 foot up the rod. I would like a halo spot pattern (like a brook trout) to go from there up to the stripping guide. dense in pattern and then tapering to sparse to barely at all at the stripping guide and then none past the stipper. The halo spots can go past the stripper if spacing won't allow. I would also like a high quality finish.

Labeled - in the vermiculation part of the rod
Rod company or builder name
"The Brookie"
Rod size - line weight

Reel seat Ex:
[i349.photobucket.com] ... ebhlca.jpg

Cork Ex:
[i349.photobucket.com] ... vgkpah.jpg

Anyone up for a challenge or think they can build this for me? Send a PM please or contact me via this website.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Possible 7' 4wt 3pc Brook Trout Build
Posted by: Victor Heal (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: July 02, 2017 05:28PM

Unhide your email. I'd be glad to build that for you.

Posted by: Brian Trussell (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 02, 2017 08:19PM

Victor,

I emailed you

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2017 08:54PM

For high quality blanks that fit your color and size requirements I would check out Ijuin Yomogi from Japan for parabolic slower action or CTS from New Zealand for faster action rods.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2017 09:09PM

I can see the detail work the brook trout scale pattern would be difficult to get to your liking but I am relatively new to rod building. Maybe a high quality print decal would work.Please post picks when you receive the rod on here and fiberglassflyrodders.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 04, 2017 05:45PM

Years ago, Scott made a 6'10", 3 piece 3 weight that Harry Murray deemed the idea Shenandoah National Park rod. I don't know if they sell the blank, but that might be a place to start.

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2017 01:24AM

Just fished an Orvis Superfine Glass, it would definitely be on my short list for your application.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster