I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Blank with Perma gloss finish
Posted by: Ted Meehan (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2017 02:22PM

I am finishing a blank with Perma Gloss and I am getting sediment in the finish. I took the original finish down with sanding
& used Scotch Brite on the blank then cleaned thoroughly with denatured alcohol. What is happening here???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Blank with Perma gloss finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 01, 2017 02:45PM

For one thing, your last step should not be a solvent wash. Do that first, then Scotchbrite, then apply the PG.

I'm not sure what you mean by sediment. If there are small particles of some kind you might take a hard look at whatever tool or device you are using to apply the PG with.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 01, 2017 03:51PM

There should not be any sediment in the Perma Gloss, must be from an outside source. As Tom mentions the applicator is suspect, if it is not dust.

Posted by: Ted Meehan (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2017 05:05PM

Tom: I used a brand new brush to apply the PG. the first coat I applied went on ok but the second coat has what looks like very very small dust particles
thats showing up on the finish coat. Thanks1

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-140.myvzw.com)
Date: July 02, 2017 06:34AM

Hi Ted,

If you can take a look at the particles with a magnifier, it will go a long way towards solving your mystery. Sorry to state the obvious, but you're the only one we can get info from. First thing that comes to my mind, since the first coat didn't have this issue, is either something was changed or introduced in the immediate area, or your first coat is being damaged by your second coat.

Just some thoughts for you to consider.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2017 10:25AM

Ted,
One issue with permagloss is that it is a hot finish.

It is quite possible that the 2nd coat of finish, partially merged with the first coat and that this is the finish appearance that you are seeing.

Take care

Date: July 02, 2017 01:40PM

A big question......why a second coat? It only adds weight, if the first is OK.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 02, 2017 03:31PM

I thought they perfected this stuff. Must be user error!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2017 04:08PM

Many people do not read the instructions per how long to wait before applying a second coat.

I would suggest not brushing the PG on the blank - swipe it on with a saturate piece of cheesecloth or clean paper towel. There are numerous references to how to do this forum's archives.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.16.---)
Date: July 02, 2017 08:03PM

From my understanding of urethane finishes, they are solvent and chemical resistant. Which is why auto clear coat is urethane; it won't soften if gasoline is spilled on it. My guess is that if this is the case, the first coat hadn't cured yet. I'm not a chemist though...just working off what I've read.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.16.---)
Date: July 02, 2017 08:07PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A big question......why a second coat? It only
> adds weight, if the first is OK.

I can't imagine a thin coat of PG is going to add enough weight to affect anything. I've painted an UL and cleared with automotive 2k urethane with no ill effects. I even used 3 coats so I could wet sand and polish. When I stepped on it, and crushed it (oops), the paint came off where it crushed. The coating is so thin, we're talking a matter of grams (if even that much) spread over the entire rod.

Date: July 03, 2017 05:16PM

Randy, I agree it does not add much, but the question is still..........why a second coat if the first was OK? Is there a purpose I'm missing?

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 06, 2017 03:51AM

Ted,
While not a veteran builder as pervious other responders, I am anal-retentive enough to not accept anything less than a perfect finish on rods I refinish. Using information gained from this wonderful forum and tweaking a bit, I now enjoy perfect finishes on my rods with PG. Consider the following;
1.) Get rid of the brush!!! Only use micro-fine pore cosmetic pads (approx 1/4in thick).
2.) Punch a hole on the center of the pad ½ to ¾ the diameter of the butt of the rod.
3.) Jam a suitably sized “mandrel” into the butt of the rod and clamp horizontally in a vise.
4.) Saturate the holed-pad in PG. Starting at the tip, put the hole of the saturated pad on the tip, compress the hole around the blank and IN ONE CONTINUOS MOTION, draw the pad down the length of the blank (no more than 10 seconds!!!) Immediately, reverse direction and wipe the pad down and off the tip (again, 5 to 10 seconds!!!). Flawless results each and every time!!!
5.) Wait 1 to 2 hours @ 70*F / 50% humidity between coats.
I am usually refinishing raw, unfinished (= porous) vintage FG blanks and apply up to six coats of PG. The pathetically minimal additional weight of five “extra” coats of PG can virtually not be weighed. On a newer, coated rod, fewer coats may be needed.
By the way, PG contains Zylene which is really nasty stuff. Use with caution and always wear protective gloves / clothing and in a well ventilated area!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Jim Genova (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2017 06:39PM

Mark, I know my way around a tackle shop, hardware store and lumber yard, but I don't know jack about shopping for a "micro-fine pore cosmetic pad". Do you have any brand names to use as a reference?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster