I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat
Posted by: Glen Hendricks (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 24, 2017 09:33PM

Well I have a question about flex coat, I couldn't find in the search.. I have a rod that someone wants me to
put more flex coat on the guides, the rod was wrapped about 6 months ago and the flex coat is a little thin an the guides.
My question can I put more flex coat on them.....
Thanks
Glen

I Was Born Without Gills, Therefore I Fish!
Love The Wife! Live Long! Fish Till You Die!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 24, 2017 10:20PM

yes you can You need to scuff the present coat a bit with a scotch brite pad and wipe them down with DA and then apply finish and you should have no problems .

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2017 01:02AM

I would suggest that you do NOT wipe the epoxy down with DNA..

Over the years, I have tried that and nearly every time that I get DNA into the equation - I end up with issues.

Rather, just take blue low tack masking tape and tack off the results of the scuffing if you wish.

Actually, when I do it, I just spray the rod down with windex and wipe off with a paper towel. Then, to be sure that it is 100% dry - let it dry for at least 4 hours and go ahead and apply another coat of epoxy.

Yes, it is recommended to do a light scuffing, the majority of the time, I never do this when I add another coat of finish.

But, the choice is yours.

Be safe

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 25, 2017 08:02AM

Keep it simple with minimum risk. Just scuff it, clean it with dry cloth or air flow, no fluids of any kind, and refinish it.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 25, 2017 12:39PM

Glenn

The most important thing is to make sure to remove any dirt, wax or oils from the areas to be refinished.

I suggest the following;

1) Clean the area with Alcohol to remove any accumulated wax or oils

2) Clean the area with mild soap and water to remove traces of alcohol and let dry

3) Scuff the area lightly, scuffing after cleaning prevents rubbing contaminants into the area to be refinished

4) Dry wipe the area with clean lint free cloth to remove loose particles or lint

5) Apply finish as soon as possible

Good Luck
John

90% of my money is spent on fishing the other 10% I just waste.

Date: June 25, 2017 01:28PM

There is no reason to think that DA would leave any residue and using windex or mild soap will both leave a residue as they do not evaporate.
if you use DA and have an issue it is because you have or had to much oil on your hands and used both sides of the wipe you used to clean up from the scuffing .
A tack cloth could leave trace filaments behind or some of the flakes from scuffing the surface.
there isn't a necessity to make it a day long process prepping to apply a second coat of finish. no need to over kill /think the process.

Wi.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 25, 2017 07:26PM

X-2 on Michael Danek

Do NOT use DNA. Light scuffing will hardly leave any trace of dust and if so just wipe it clean. I have had customers ask me to re-coat some guides that have cracked on older rods just for ascetic value and with NO scuffing have come out perfect and held up well.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2017 07:28PM by Tom Wewerka.

Date: June 25, 2017 07:33PM

Matthew,
I read and understand your post.

However, I have had experience where cleaning with DNA and letting the rod dry for several hours, left me with a problem with the finish.

But, to the contrary, if I have cleaned with windex, I have never had an issue with the finish.

Bad Karma - maybe.

Just relating my own experiences.

Date: June 25, 2017 11:16PM

Well thanks for the info. Now I have a problem I have built a couple of rods about 3 moths ago and the flex coat has cracked and some guides has came loose.
I've never had this problem from other rods I have built, since flex coat has made their finish thicker I am having this problems with it, any body else having this problem.

Date: June 26, 2017 12:25AM

What type of rod ??
did you use Color preserver ?? more than 1 coat ?? and what type of color preserver if used
sounds like to much hardener your mix was not 50/50 and you didn't get some in the guide tunnels

Wi.

Date: June 26, 2017 03:39AM

Yes I did use color preserver, and I'm not new at this been building rod over 20 years, like I said this is the first time this ever happen to me
since flex coat change their formula, guess I will switch to some thing else that is thinner and not so thick.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-209.myvzw.com)
Date: June 26, 2017 11:22AM

Glen

Our High Build finish formula has been the same for 40 years. Since then we have introduced our Lite finish and Ultra V finish. If you are looking for a thinner finish, try our Lite formula. It has a thinner viscosity. We don't use color preserver on the wrap that holds the guide down because if blocks the super strong Flex Coat from soaking through the threads to the blank and making the best strong bond. This is a controversial stance, but we stand by it.

It is also possible that you were off on your measuring and/or mixing to get the finish to crack. What type of rod is it?

When recoating after a time, make sure the rod is clean. We use an orange cleaner called Zep that can be bought at Home Depot or the like. This orange based cleaner will get the rod squeaky clean without the harshness of the solvents. No need to scuff the finish, the clean surface is good enough.

If you would like, give us a call and we will get to the bottom of this.

512-858-7742

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: June 28, 2017 04:37AM

The Ultra V finish is the one I'm having problems with.
I have always used the High build and never had problems with it.
I guess I will go back to the high build. And thanks for all the info.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: June 28, 2017 01:39PM

Of all the people that have said to scuff, I wonder if any of you have ever not scuffed & had a delam issue? I'm not against scuffing, but I'm not totally convinced it's necessary.

Besides...the Flex Coat guy says clean & no need to scuff.

Date: June 28, 2017 03:58PM

I have added a coat of finish to many different rods over the years without any scuffing and have never had any issues with the finish on any of those rods.

Good luck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 28, 2017 06:23PM

Jay Lancaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of all the people that have said to scuff, I
> wonder if any of you have ever not scuffed & had a
> delam issue? I'm not against scuffing, but I'm
> not totally convinced it's necessary.
>
> Besides...the Flex Coat guy says clean & no need
> to scuff.

Any time you apply a coating over an existing surface you want to have a surface that is in "water break free" condition. This is the optimum surface upon which to apply your coating Failure to obtain and provide such a surface is not a guarantee of delamination, but having one is a guarantee of not having delamination. If a new application completely encapsulates the old one, then there is less likelihood that a delimitation will occur. But in either case it is important that the surface is clean. Harsh chemical solvents are generally not necessary and can cause their own problems. You can use a product such as John mentioned or even a simple wash with soap and water. But the surface should certainly be clean if you expect the new finish to in any way adhere to the old one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster