I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

re:cp
Posted by: Robert Desrosier (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: June 23, 2017 10:25PM

Hi Guys
Took advice and just put on epoxy without doing anything else used flexcoat lite, worked well except that now I have a lot of fuzzys. .Now wondering what I can do to get rid of them, was wondering if i could flame them between coats or if i should cut them all or if another thicker coat might help. first coat is very thin.
thanks for any advice you can give me
Robert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: re:cp
Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-148.myvzw.com)
Date: June 23, 2017 10:38PM

Hi Robert,

After the first coat of epoxy, I usually just trim the fuzzies off with my scalpel, and then recoat with epoxy. All cut marks disappear with the new coat.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2017 08:06PM

Robert,
If all of the fuzzy's are the same color, I would suggest that you take that spool of thread that was used to wrap the rod in that color and toss it into the garbage.

IN addition, take the offending spool of thread and using very very bright light and with at least 8 power magnification, put a length of thread under the lights and magnification. Then, while watching, st art pulling on the thread to put a lot of pressure on the thread. If you have thread problems, you will very likely see fuzzies pop out of the thread as you put tension on the thread.

Then, if you find that you are getting fuzzies under these conditions, take another spool of thread which has not shown any fuzzies and repeat the test. I would guess that you would not see the fuzzies pop up when the other thread is put under extreme tension.

Normally, using routine techniques, you really should not get any fuzzies after applying epoxy.

The one thing that I might suggest - If you have fuzzies for all of your thread, I might guess that you are over packing or rubbing your wraps with a packing tool and have essentially roughened the thread by over working the thread.

I only have had this happen on one spool of thread. I applied finish to the first wrap and had fuzzies pop up. So before continuing, I stripped off all of the wraps and guides, used a new spool of thread and rewrapped the rod.
No issues with the replacement thread.

If I did have a rod that had fuzzies pop up after the first coat of epoxy, I would put the rod away for two weeks, so that the epoxy would get good and hard. Then, I would use a burnishing pad to remove the fuzzies. By letting the epoxy get good and hard, you will be able to easily polish off the fuzzies without doing any damage to the thread. Then, apply one or more coats of finish as needed for the final look that you wish to have on the rod.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 24, 2017 09:36PM

Like Roger said, throw the thread out.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 25, 2017 12:09PM

Robert

Fuzzes can be annoying, before I apply CP or finish I inspect the wrap for gaps overlaps and fuzzes. If there are fuzzes I flame them. When I use CP I check it again and flame or sand if necessary.
Using this procedure fuzzies have never been an issue after the finish coat is applied.

Good Luck

John

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 26, 2017 09:59AM

hi roger..would the burnishing pad trick work after using a couple coats of CP on the fuzzies?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2017 12:40PM

Of course.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster