I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

6 wt guide choice
Posted by: James Smith (---.sub-70-195-140.myvzw.com)
Date: June 22, 2017 01:06PM

Hello all, been a while since I have been here for some help as I am a very occasional builder for my own needs. I am considering a new 6 wt on a St Croix scv blank. What might be the biggest differences between the Recoil titanium wire single foots and the newer minima guides? A few years ago I built an 8 wt for a friend for saltwater use. The recoil guides seemed a bit noisey compared to ceramic insert guides. I think perhaps 6's in either for running guides.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 6 wt guide choice
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2017 02:15PM

Ceramics will be quieter than either, but depending on the type and style chosen you may incur a slight weight penalty. Initially the sound of fly line running through anything other than ceramics bothered me, but I got used to it after a bit.

Posted by: James Smith (---.sub-70-195-140.myvzw.com)
Date: June 22, 2017 03:05PM

Thanks, otherwise is there a difference of any consequence?

Date: June 22, 2017 04:29PM

The Recoil are probably longer wearing, but I've not had any wear issues with the Minima's.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 22, 2017 04:49PM

The geometry of a snake guide allows a snake guide with the same nominal diameter to pass a larger obstruction than a ring guide of the same diameter. Leader connections and backing connections featuring loops or even nail knots require larger- and heavier- ring guides than their snake-guide equivalents. If you use those excellent REC "lite-weight" snake guides I suggest a couple of Forhan wraps around both guide feet of each guide. They are indestructible but flexible, and I have had one foot of an REC lite-weight snake guide flex enough when the guide was accidentally struck that one leg of the guide backed out entirely from under its wrapping. The guide was undamaged - it sprung back to its original shape - but I had to re-wrap and re-finish that guide foot.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 23, 2017 02:30PM

Phil,
How would one do a Forhan wrap on a snake guide?

Herb

Date: June 23, 2017 03:08PM

Herb: By hand, without a bobbin. When you get to the point where you wish to make your Forhan wrap (s) you leave 8 or 10 inches of slack and cut your tying thread. Make your wrap(s) around the guide foot and the blank with one hand while you maintain wrap tension with your other hand. Complete the whip finish as usual. I don't know how else to do a Forhan wrap?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2017 04:35PM

Phil,
Yes, I agree that you would need to do that for the locking wrap - since with a snake guide, you would need to feed the loose end of the wrapping thread through the snake guide to execute the locking wrap at each end of the guide.

Normally, when I do a locking wrap, I do the lock three times so it would require inserting the loose end though the guide 3 times on each end of the guide for the completed wrap.

Take care

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 24, 2017 05:51PM

I have to admit that to me, doing 18 Forhan locking wraps on double foot fly rod guides is unjustified in preventing the very rare instance of a REC guide pulling a foot out of the wrap. I would rather simply do the wraps in the normal, efficient, way and then, in case of a rare "loose foot," re-wrap that foot.

Date: June 24, 2017 06:09PM

The extra Forhan wraps cost me about 30 seconds each, but I have practiced. I figure a few extra minutes at the rod bench might save me or someone else a fishing trip. I never managed to slip an "escaped" guide foot back under its wraps.

Date: June 24, 2017 08:34PM

Generally, the Forhan wrap offers the greatest benefit on single foot guides that are prone to pulling out when caught on rod lockers, etc. Double foot guides aren't nearly as suspect in that regard. However, if you can do them in a very short time it's likely to be just that more insurance for little extra trouble.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 29, 2017 11:01AM

i have no idea how hard the wire is but is their a way to roughen up the surface so that the thread and finish can get a better hold on the guide?

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 29, 2017 11:09AM

or maybe hammer the tip flatter and wider just a bit making the foot resist pulling..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster