I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Czech Nymphing Rod Blank
Posted by: Chris Wikel (---.cpe.surry.net)
Date: June 21, 2017 04:07PM

I recently fell in love with a Syndicate 10' 3wt Nymphing rod a buddy of mine has. I would love to build something in either a 2wt or 3wt like it. Any suggestions on blanks that may be similar? Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Czech Nymphing Rod Blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2017 09:05PM

CTS makes a nice nymph blank in the Affinity X design, they come in 10 -12 ft. versions.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 21, 2017 09:42PM

Spencer,
Your email is hidden.
Let me know if I can help you with a CTS blank.
Herb
Distrib. CTS blanks

Date: June 21, 2017 10:10PM

Thank you for the reply Spencer and Herb! What would a 10ft 3wt CTS Affinity blank cost. I am a disabled veteran with Project Healing Waters and fell in love with rod building this year. My first rod build won first prize in the 2017 PHW National Rod Building Contest. Any assistance you may be able to offer would really be appreciated! Feel free to email me privately at chriswikel1@gmail.com.
Thanks again,

Chris

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: June 22, 2017 12:42PM

Chris,

First off thank you for your service. No doubt you can build a better performing rod than the Syndicate with the CTS or a Gatti from Rocky Mnt Rod Shop, it will cost about the same as the Syndicate or more depending on what hardware you go with. I bought a Hook and Hackle XI 10ft 3wt blank about 1.5 years ago when they had them 50% off for Christmas. It feels good but I have not held the Syndicate to compare.With 2 kids 3 and 1.5 years old with other builds to do who knows when I can get to this one. If you would like it I will give you a very good deal. I have Pac Bay single foot guides, Alps stripper and Tip top in tichrome color. Also a nice Butternut grip from Archie's Custom Handles, not much heavier than cork but much more sensitive. Let me know if you are interested.

David

Date: June 22, 2017 01:21PM

Hi David

Thank you for your insight and offer but I am planning to build my own rod. Funny you should mention Archie. I met him at the Rod Building Show and he motivated me to turn my own grip and reel seat out of sycamore. This is what I put on my National PHW contest entry for this year. Find time to build the rod you mentioned. I know that has helped me set aside whatever may be causing me stress in my life! Tight lines

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: June 22, 2017 03:05PM

I learned a lot from Morris's wood turning seminars at the expo,I just don't have the space for a lathe right now.I had Archie turn down some Japanese Cherry wood and I shaped them on my DIY drill lathe a touch to my liking then spar varnish finish. Archie is good guy to deal with for sure. Funny you said Sycamore bc I just bought some blanks of that earlier today.I like the look but also seeing a patch of trees with their distinctive bark is a good sign of finding water to fish nearby.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster