I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sub $100 5wt or 6wt build?
Posted by: Chris_Miller (204.155.22.---)
Date: June 20, 2017 10:32AM

Hello,

An old friend from college and I are doing a trip out to Montana to fish the Big Horn for a few days. I’m toying with the idea of building him a rod for the trip. If it were any other friend I’d just tell him to go to the local fly shop and buy an Echo Base for $90 and be done with it. But he’s the kind of guy that would appreciate a custom rod….. even if it’s not as good as a store bought one. He’s an amateur Fly Fisherman at best and currently fishes with the cheapest Cabela's rod they make. So he’d be happy with something that’s at least a step up from that. Anyone have any recommendations for a cheap build.

I’ve been looking at “Kits” for the most part to keep cost low but wouldn’t have an issue buying all the components separate.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sub $100 5wt or 6wt build?
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 20, 2017 10:57AM

You did not mention length or number of pieces, but for the money it is extremely hard to go wrong with an American Tackle Matrix fly rod blank.
Norm

Date: June 20, 2017 11:08AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You did not mention length or number of pieces,
> but for the money it is extremely hard to go wrong
> with an American Tackle Matrix fly rod blank.
> Norm

Thanks Norm! Frankly I don't really think it matters. 2 or 4 piece and 8'6" or 9' would be fine. Really just the run of the mill fly rod. I was looking at the American Tackle blanks and they seem to run for $75-$90 in a 5wt or 6wt. So they may be a little on the top end of my budget.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 20, 2017 11:58AM

Well try the graphite blanks at Anglers Roost, they have some very inexpensive blanks and components. The PacBay Tradition II kits are in the price range [www.anglersworkshop.com]
So is a Rainshadow RX6 kit. [www.anglersworkshop.com]
Norm

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 20, 2017 12:15PM

Chris

I've not built the RX6 kit referenced by Norman, but have built on the RX6 blank and it's a keeper. Try a test wrap with royal blue wrap with silver shiner trim. Makes an attractive fly rod.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 20, 2017 12:40PM

You might like the Batson Forecast fly blanks.
A good price, and some are on Sale right now.
Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: June 20, 2017 01:26PM

Anglers Workshop has the Pac Bay Rainforest II 906 2 peice in their deal section for less than $42.

You might also find some good deals from the sponsors with July 4th specials.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 20, 2017 03:27PM

Go 4 piece- they travel so-o-o-o much easier than 2 piece.

Date: June 20, 2017 05:13PM

I did just find this RX6 kit on Hook and Hackle. Any objections? $79.63

[store.hookhack.com]

BB 906-4 blank
Pacific Bay A5 chrome reel seat with rosewood insert
Reverse Half Wells inletted grip
hard chrome plated chrome guide set
hookkeeper and tip top
winding check
Dark Blue Thread.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 20, 2017 06:04PM

It's awful tough for an individual American rod builder to match the price or the quality of low end fly rods produced by automated machines tended by poorly paid workers.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.sub-70-199-4.myvzw.com)
Date: June 20, 2017 06:18PM

The Tradition II kit is awesome. I've built on a few of them and so has my buddy. We both think they're great.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 20, 2017 07:11PM

The Batson RX6 is a good selection for a novice fly fisherman. Excellent quality and priced right. Also a beautiful blank. For the Big Horn I would build him a 6wt. Big Horn flows right now are quite high, but have been coming down.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2017 08:29PM

If you need 4 piece check out Bingham Enterprises SHX fly blanks which are titanium chrome color around $60. I have heard many folks talk highly about them.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 20, 2017 09:28PM

I second the Bingham SHX blanks, I have built on quite a number of them and bang for the buck, they are worth twice what they go for

Ron Weber

Date: June 21, 2017 09:55AM

Thanks for all the input on this. I think I'll be going with the Rainshadow RX6 9' 6 wt 4 pc kit from Hook and Hackle. $79.63 with free shipping. I started to add up all the other options and after shipping cost they were all over $100. Some were probably worth the extra money but at the end of the day I'm not the one fishing with it. :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster