I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Insert guides on a fly rod
Posted by: Andrew kelly (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 19, 2017 12:57AM

I've never fished or built a fly rod with single foot guides with inserts before. I've got a 8/9wt fiberglass blank that I'm about to start in on, and I'm considering trying out these single foot guides. I've always used traditional snake guides without any problems. But I think the intended use of this rod is more about ease of shooting and stripping line. The rod will mostly be used with multi tip lines, saltwater floating lines and possibly a OPST Commando system. I was looking at the American Tackle Titan fly guides with the Nanolite inserts and wanted to know recommended guide sizing including stripping guide and also how these compare performance and weight wise with traditional snake guides or other options like the Fuji TLSG guides. Thanks for any guidance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Insert guides on a fly rod
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: June 19, 2017 03:12AM

Andrew,

I have used ceramic rings on fly rods with both double footed guides and single footed guides. I did not see any improvement in casting distance or presentation. I did notice a slowing of the action--particularly with light weight rods (4 and 5 weight). If you are going to use this rod in saltwater I recommend Titanium Alloy frames and going with Silicon Carbide rings. I also recommend a fanatic cleaning procedure that I use. When finished fishing I rinse the rod with water. I follow this with a wash in warm sudsy water and then another rinse. I then hand dry the rod followed by placing the rod in a cloth rod sock. I used this method with a surf rod I built over 40 years ago with guides from Mildrum with steel frames and rings with chrome coating. The tip top was a tungsten carbide ring with a nickel silver frame. After all those years the only corrosion was found where the ring of the tip top was soldered to the frame. At the junction there just a small amount of green color from the copper in the nickel silver frame.

On fly rods I have gone back to snake guides since I get good casting distances with less weight. I hope this helps. I am sure you will hear from others that supports using the ceramic rings.

Good luck with your project.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 19, 2017 08:08AM

The more weight you add to a rod the more the speed (reaction and recovery time) will be reduced. Depending on the weight of the guides in questions compared to what you normally use, you may seen only a tiny difference, or a significant one. Ceramic inserts tend to protect line, pay it out under pressure a bit better, etc., but won't really increase your casting distance to any practical degree. There just isn't enough friction between line and guide surface during the cast to make any measurable casting difference.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 19, 2017 09:00AM

Test to make sure the guide rings are large enough for the leader-to-line and the line-to-backing connections to pass through smoothly and easily.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: June 19, 2017 10:21AM

I built an 8wt rod for salmon and steelhead using single foot guides for use with a multi-head system and found that even though the guides were large enough the loop-to-loop connections still got hung up when stripping right to the tip-top (which is required when fishing for certain species.
I stripped off the single foots and replaced with snake guides with the same diameter. No more hang-ups when stripping.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 20, 2017 08:02AM

Andrew,
Heed the above advice and nix the ceramics.
To improve performance the best thing is to keep the line off the blank to reduce friction there.
The way to do that is to use REC Recoil single foot spinning guides - RSPG. Use a Fuji #16 Titanium frame with either Torzite or SiC rings as the stripper.
Then a #10 RSPG, #8 RSPG and then either #8L RSPG or #7 RSPG for runners. The #8 will give you a little more room. But the #7 will be lighter. I used the #8's on my #8 saltwater fly rod that I will probably overline with a floater so I needed more clearance.
Use the REC recoil tip-top in a small ring or a Snakebrand with ECOating in small ring. Lighter than their chromed.
Have fun,
Herb

Posted by: Andrew kelly (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 20, 2017 10:31AM

Thanks for the replies all. i'm going to stick with the standard snake guides. I think the multi tip lines ave a good chance of getting caught up in the single foots.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster