I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stripping guide creasing epoxy
Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2017 01:00PM

ben belote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hi donald, it sounds like your saying that this is
> less likely to happen if one uses single foot
> guides. correct?

Hi Ben,

I have never had an issue with thread failing. That said, my first rod built was about 1981 using varnish with XBG guides. Later I switched to Fuji guides (MNAG & LNAG) with N frames and epoxy coating.
With any compression on a N guide, the ring might have a small tendency to tilt forward or way from the tip of the rod. There would be no sideways movement.

I do taper the guide feet enough to allow the thread's transition onto the guide foot. Nothing excessive.
The thread is packed and attention is payed to the section where the thread transitions onto the guide foot.
No CP is used and epoxy is applied rapidly. Heat is used to assure full penetration of the epoxy.

Don Becker

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 20, 2017 01:33PM

hi steve, one final suggestion..many years ago rich forhan wrote a very good book about his revolver rods...he hung a 5# weight on his rod and measured the load on each individual guide...of course the butt guides were under the greatest load about one pound as i recall...at that same time i decided to make my first graphite flipping rod..i already had two fenwick glass rods but graphite was taking over..anyway when i saw riches numbers it occured to me that for every guide i added it would reduce the load on each ofthe other guides...so went and checked my three old SC2 flip rods for cracks or whatever and found nothing the e-poxy looked flawless...why? i think because i was using 9 guides and 10 on one rod that shared the load, a much lighter load on each guide..if you know anything abot flipping you know how brutal it is on rods..you don,t have to go to the extreme like i did but maybe use enough guides to begin with and get by with just one or two more..don,t be concerned about the slight additional weight..i think this weight thing is getting too much press. lol.

Date: June 20, 2017 01:43PM

steve, i forgot to mention that all three flipping rods use 6mm alconite singe foot guides and not even a hint of a crack or whatever.lol.

Date: June 20, 2017 01:44PM

steve, i forgot to mention that all three flipping rods use 6mm alconite singe foot guides and not even a hint of a crack or whatever.lol.

Date: June 20, 2017 01:48PM

oh, and lots of CP too. lol.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 21, 2017 12:52PM

A thin coat of high-viscosity epoxy before the finish coat helps to avoid the issues you face.

Date: June 21, 2017 01:58PM

hi steve, i,m curious, how long is this rod and how many wrapped guides did you use and how far is the next guide from the one in your pictures? thanks.

Posted by: Steve Longfield (---.ip.van.radiant.net)
Date: June 22, 2017 11:50AM

Ben, this is a 9' 8 weight fly rod. Interesting about the load per guide you were talking about! I just used Rainshadow's recommendations of guide spacing for the Eternity 2. There are 10 guides + tip top. The cracking is happening on my 10th guide, the sz 16 stripper which is 12" away from the 9th guide, a size 12 stripper. Guide spacing below. Rainshadow actually seemed to have messed up the guide spacing for this rod though as two of my guides fell exactly on the ferrule. I had to move my guides around to accommodate this poor spacing.

1st 3.5"
2nd 8"
3rd 13.25"
4th 19.25"
5th 27.25"
6th 35.75"
7th 44.75"
8th 54.25"
9th 65.5"
10th 77.5".

Posted by: Steve Longfield (---.ip.van.radiant.net)
Date: June 22, 2017 11:50AM

Phil. Is a thin coat of high-vis epoxy just made by letting the epoxy set for a few more minutes before applying? And would that be the first coat of epoxy on the thread?

Date: June 22, 2017 12:01PM

hi steve..i now i,m banging on a dead horse, just one more thought...you should have other guides with cracks, not just one...if just one guide is cracked it may be from some kind of bump or knock..better luck with your new build.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 22, 2017 04:17PM

1. again, this guide foot epoxy isn't cracked
2. It is common and normal for 1 guide foot to have cracking.
3. THis has nothing to do with a bump or knock, it's because this is what happens with CP on guide wraps.

Date: June 25, 2017 12:00PM

hi steve..send me an e-mail

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster