I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP
Posted by: Robert Desrosier (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: June 17, 2017 11:59PM

How many coats of cp can I use? Did a not to bad wrap, put on three coats of cp but handled it a lot when I did the wraps on the guides. was wondering if another light coat would clean it up if I put it on and wiped it off or if you can use to much? or can I use something else to make sure its clean before I apply the epoxy.
would appreciate any help with this
thanks Robert.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2017 12:33AM

Robert,
Normally it is really not necessary to put on any more than one coat.
The only thing that you are trying to do with CP, is to seal the thread so that the epoxy does not penetrate and change the color of the thread.

Good luck

p.s.
Out of curiosity, why did you put on any CP before the wrapping with finished on the entire rod? May be a fancy butt wrap that needed the CP to hold it in place?

Date: June 18, 2017 09:00AM

Roger
Thanks , did not know that one coat was all needed. the reason was that I made two identical rods for my daughters with rose wraps and simple weaved names. lots of starting over as the learning curve is steep at 65. did not want to mess them up after I finally got an acceptable result so I lots of cp'd them in place. now would like to make sure that they are clean enough so that I can tackle the epoxy part .
Robert

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: June 18, 2017 10:05AM

I'm pretty sure that after 3 coats of color preserver what you see is what you are going to get. Trying to clean it up now will most likley make everything worse. No directions with your CP?

Date: June 18, 2017 11:39AM

Hi Grant
I'm using Flex Coat directions say 2 to3 coats on reg thread
I think that im wording my question wrong I am happy with the way the wraps turned out and do not need to do any more to the thread Its just that I handled them a lot cause I did names after the wraps. better question might be can i wash a cp'd wrap with water or alcohol to remove any residue that might adversely effect the epoxy? Im trying to learn from the top down, make a mistake, correct it and move on, slow process but now that im happy with the wraps, butt and guides I have to much into it to start over now. this is why I am looking for a little help.
Thanks, Robert

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 18, 2017 12:33PM

try not to handle the threads as much as possible and make sure you hands/ fingers are clean wash you hands several times as your wrapping if you find the need to touch the threads as the oils from you shin will taint the threads no amount of CP or anything else will stop it or clean it . as Rodger stated 1 coat is sufficient .
Once the cp is dry there is nothing you can use with out messing up the wrap to remove it short of stripping it off and clean up the blank and re wrapping it .

here is a link to a good video from Tom our moderator here on the site on applying finish .
[youtu.be]

Just take your time and you will have a good result.

also you can visit the library on the site for more information with building here is one on finishing [www.rodbuilding.org]

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Jason Reddick (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 18, 2017 07:28PM

I was wondering the same thing very recently...I had a wrap completed, CP'ed, and then tied off. Then I spent about 2 weeks (off-and-on) doing overwraps for the tie-offs, figuring out and restarting the trim/thread changes I never did before. I probably inadvertently touched the CP'ed wrap many times, and wondered if that messes with the CP. Got that done and CP'ed the tie offs - but I left the original CP'ed wrap alone. When I tied off the CP'ed wrap I noticed how stiff and well-coated the original wrap was so I figured the CP was ok. I have the first coat of epoxy finish drying now and it doesn't look weird or splotchy. So I would say you are good to go if you soaked it well. I used Chromaseal CP - instructions indicated 3 coats, which I followed to the letter.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 18, 2017 09:47PM

I have no experience with Chromaseal, but I would follow directions. I use Flex Coat, 2 coats, putting on excess then after washing the brush, blot the excess off. Works fine. But I have had blotching with 2 coats of Cason's clear CP, so don't use it any more. Many CP's require stirring to distribute minute solids, so check the instructions.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (73.109.56.---)
Date: June 19, 2017 11:01AM

Hi Robert,

If you are concerned about the epoxy adhering to the CP, due to possibly contaminating the CP by touching it too much after you applied it, I would just put on another thin coat of CP, let it dry, and then epoxy.

I hope that answers your question. I have put on as many as 6 coats of CP, when I do feather inlays, without issue. I also use Flex Coat.

Take care, and let us know what you did.

Chris

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2017 06:35PM

If you are concerned about contaminating a cp coated wrap while working on the rest of the rod, just take plastic wrap and wrap the cp coated wrap. Then, put a single wrap of masking tape around the plastic wrap to hold it in place.

The plastic wrap will not stick to or interfere with the wrap or the cp coating.

When you get ready for the epoxy coating, just slice off the masking tape, remove the plastic wrap and coat the rod as needed.

---
If you get a rod partially completed and get pulled off of the rod and you know that it will be a long time before getting back to it, again, just take plastic wrap, wrap the rod and store the rod.

When you get back to it, remove the plastic wrap and it will be as it was when you put it into storage with no issue of dust or other contamination.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 20, 2017 05:44AM

Robert, if you are putting CP on Dec Wraps - you MUST use at least 2 coats. If you want the threads to come out blotchy, that is when you use 1 coat of CP. I've tested this multiple times, and 1 coat is never enough, it must be at least 2. There's a fine line, if you put too much on you're going to end up with teh CP drying on top of the threads and there will be a white haze under the epoxy.

From now on, when you put CP, you put epoxy on when it dries. THis way there is no worrying about 10 hours of your life getting messed up. As it is righ tnow, just apply epoxy and deal with any issues later. IF you use water or alcohol you ccan potentially end up with a major disaster

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster