I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Colors for Eternity2 Blanks
Posted by: Tony Scott (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 14, 2017 02:21PM

Can you say BLING? I was amazed at the color of these blanks. They are like a Cobalt Blue Chrome.

Has anyone found any thread colors that work well with these? I found an image of one with Aqua Blue wraps and that was nice. Another rodbuilder showed how we uses a dark shade of blue, which does work well, but I like contrast.

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Colors for Eternity2 Blanks
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 14, 2017 04:57PM

I've built two of these and used Pro Wrap dark blue with Pro Wrap pearl trim on one. No CP. The rod looks great, with the blue being a similar but much darker blue than the blank. My second, in process, uses the same dark blue but with CP, and the wrap matches the blank nicely. I'm using the pearl for trim, but with the CP it comes off as almost white, lots more contrast. I'm using a single black thread at the end of the wraps.

But I really think there may be other answers. The neat thing about the color is that it matches the water in the Bahamas really well. I think that's why Batson kept it on the fly rods. A guy on another forum used Pro Wrap bamboo as one of his colors, liked it, but I never saw a picture of it. I was thinking of a salmon single thread trim in the dark blue wraps and at the ends, but don't have any and wanted to get on with the build, so maybe next time. I asked Batson, but they didn't have any other combinations to suggest. ll

If you find something spectacular, and I think it's out there, let me know what the combination is. It' s probably colors native to the tropics, aquamarine, sand/bamboo, etc. Maybe even olive. If you look into the distance on a sunny day in the Bahamas, you see the cobalt water in the foreground , then at the horizon, there is a bright green, an olive green, a sand color, then the blue sky. Still a project in process.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: June 14, 2017 06:06PM

Tony, I just finished a Eternity 2 rod for myself. I used a red/black 2 color twist thread and I trimmed it with a sea-green nylon thread. Much to my surprise, I found this combination quite satisfactory. I have used the red/black class color twist thread on black rod with sunrise yellow trim. I just felt that the yellow/orange sunrise color would not work with the light Cobalt blue that was used for the Eternity 2. You might try it and see what you think. Good luck with your project.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 14, 2017 07:27PM

Hey, thanks, guys. These are both great ideas and I like the inspiration behind them. I know blues will work but looking forward to something that contrasts. I'll let you know!

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 15, 2017 09:21AM

I have done some Blue or Green blanks with dark, and on some Green blanks with brighter Red thread,
trimmed with a Gold, Yellow, or White NCP.
Remember, color is always such an individual choice.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 15, 2017 12:03PM

Tony,

I have wrapped multiple rods with blue CF & Metallic threads and have found blue fades really bad in the sunlight, especially the blue metallics. Just a heads up.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Eduard Ardelean (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: June 15, 2017 06:26PM

To match the color for Eternity 2 as close is possible , the thread would be Fish Hawk color lock Dark Blue ( 246).

Posted by: Steve Longfield (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: June 18, 2017 10:18AM

Just joined and I was having issues with my stripper guides.. but here's a picture of what colors I picked

[goo.gl]

And i got creative with the cutting and splicing the label

[goo.gl]

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 19, 2017 08:09PM

Steve, what is the main thread? Make and color? thanks

Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.knology.net)
Date: June 28, 2017 03:16AM

Btw, if you're going with a baitcaster for this blank, the Diawa coastal matches the blank pretty damn well

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster