I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sage one spey guide recommendations, too small?
Posted by: Sean D'Rose (184.69.214.---)
Date: June 13, 2017 02:11PM

hi,

I'm building a Sage one 13'6" 7wt spey rod

the guide recommendations are as follows.(see below)

The top 6 guides seem small to me (size 3)

I was going to upsize them to size 4, but a friend informed me that sage deliberately undersize the guides to make the line track truer to the blank.

Has anyone built a sage spey using their guide size recommendations?
What were your thoughts?

I guess it is just the thin monofilament line running through the rod most of the time, so maybe smaller guides are not an issue?

I plan on using REC double foot heavy duty snakes for this build.

guide size space (inches from top)
1 3 6
2 3 12-3/8
3 3 19-11/16
4 3 28-1/8
5 3 37-1/4
6 3 47
7 4 57-1/2
8 4 68-9/16
9 5 80-1/4
10 5 92-1/4
11 12 106-1/16
12 16 121

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sage one spey guide recommendations, too small?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2017 03:22PM

Sean,
The occupation is called "custom rod building". If you want to put a guide on a rod that is a different size and or type than someone else would put on the rod; then by all means put on that guide/s,

Good luck

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2017 05:38PM

As long as the guides will pass all your knots, they are large enough.

Date: June 13, 2017 05:38PM

As long as the guides will pass all your knots, they are large enough.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2017 06:00PM

Sean

Blank manufacturer's recommendations do command consideration, but not blind adherence in terms of size or location.

Ask yourself if the guides will easily pass all knots, both when rigging and fighting a fish. Is another guide needed or are there too many guides? Tape on guides and experiment with different stripper sizes and locations. Can you truly say the casting distance improves or degrades?

To paraphrase Roger, you're the builder and whatever you ultimately select for guides and their locations is your call and responsibility.

And no, the size 3 snakes do not strike me as undersized. If you use size 4s what might you gain other than additional weight?

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2017 06:00PM

Sean

Blank manufacturer's recommendations do command consideration, but not blind adherence in terms of size or location.

Ask yourself if the guides will easily pass all knots, both when rigging and fighting a fish. Is another guide needed or are there too many guides? Tape on guides and experiment with different stripper sizes and locations. Can you truly say the casting distance improves or degrades?

To paraphrase Roger, you're the builder and whatever you ultimately select for guides and their locations is your call and responsibility.

And no, the size 3 snakes do not strike me as undersized. If you use size 4s what might you gain other than additional weight?

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 13, 2017 06:53PM

I think that rod manufactures make rods in most part for general use and economy and don't consider personal preferences. If you have a preference or a reason for doing something then do it if works better than the manufacturers recommendations. Use the recommendations as a guide and improve on it if possible.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2017 08:45PM

Take the manufacturer's marketing statements with a grain a salt - Sage used to be big on claiming to use "oversized guides" for increased casting distance. Now they're using undersized guides to make the line track truer to the blank? It's nonsense.

It's always better to use the correct sized guides which are always the smallest guides that will easily pass the required lines and connections, and hold up to the task at hand.

Posted by: Sean D'Rose (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: June 13, 2017 10:03PM

Thanks everyone.

I'm in Calgary so it's a challenge to size up before I buy online.

I've looked at factory Sage ones and the guides have looked small, but asthetics are all I have to go on.

And Rec guides aren't cheap

The guides I can get here aren't great but I'll use them as a reference to see which guide size i prefer

Thanks

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2017 10:50PM

Sean,
Any reason to use Rec guides as opposed to simple stainless snake guides?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2017 11:27PM

I'd size my guides to the line used, larger diameter, shorter belly lines would require bigger guides, smaller diameter long belly lines may work fine with the 3s. Your probably not sure right now, so I'd go with the 4s, with the REC guides you'd never notice the difference between the sizes while using the rod.
My 7 wt. switch rods that for the most part require short belly lines all have 4s on them, I wouldn't go smaller.

Date: June 14, 2017 01:33AM

I find considering the belly of a Spey line irrelevant for choosing guide sizes ass the belly is outside the guides when Spey casting.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: June 14, 2017 11:15AM

Contact Andy at RodBuilder Supplies on the left. He was doing a lot of building of Sage blanks. He would most likely be able to answer your questions.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: June 14, 2017 12:38PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sean,
> Any reason to use Rec guides as opposed to simple
> stainless snake guides?

Hi Roger,
I haven't been impressed with the quality of the standard stainless guides I've bought in the past.
feet are gnarly, twisted, etc.

I've seen the REC and they look good. That's my only reason.
My friend has used the snakebrand but recommends the REC

sean

Date: June 14, 2017 01:19PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
> I'd size my guides to the line used, larger diameter, shorter belly lines would require bigger
> guides, smaller diameter long belly lines may work fine with the 3s. Your probably not sure right
> now, so I'd go with the 4s, with the REC guides you'd never notice the difference between the
> sizes while using the rod.

Phil Erickson Wrote:
> I find considering the belly of a Spey line irrelevant for choosing guide sizes ass the belly is outside the guides when Spey casting.

Chris Richer Wrote:
Contact Andy at RodBuilder Supplies on the left. He was doing a lot of building of Sage blanks. He would most likely be able to answer your questions.

Thanks Spencer, Phil,

This is my first spey rod and build.
Like Phil suggests, during the cast, the entire spey head is outside the guides, so its only when landing the steelhead where the head is back in the guides.

I've decided to buy a couple of the cheaper sz3 and 4 stainless guides and decide if the 3s are too small. Then order the RECs online.

Thanks Chris,
I actually bought the blank from Andy so i'll reach out to him. Thanks, I didn't even think of that.

cheers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster