I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alcedo Micron
Posted by: Jimmy Keener (---.233.235.68.dsl.brvdnc.dynamic.citcom.Net)
Date: June 13, 2017 10:07AM

I found this spinning rod in my Dads things. I tried to look it up but couldn't find much on it. If anyone has any info please e mail me and fill me in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alcedo Micron
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 13, 2017 12:55PM

I'll just answer here since I cannot figure your email address. The Micron is a cool little reel, which at the time was the lightest spinning reel available. I have two of them that I got when I was in high school, late 50's. (If I'm remembering correctly). I used 4 pound mono on them for really light stuff. I still have them, although I think one has a failed bail spring and both have the rubber pad that stops the bail on closing failed. With it failed, the line doesn't spool properly, a design weakness. If yours has that you might be able to replace it with gasket material and a drop of super glue. I haven't tried that yet.

cool looking reels, too. Made in Italy, if I remember correctly.

I think you can find a few on @#$%&, and keep looking for info-there is some on line. [www.stripersonline.com]

I still have boxes and manuals, so if you want a copy of the manual, email me. I don't think mine is hidden.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2017 06:04PM

Michael nailed it so not much to add. Found the following which might be of interest.

The Alcedo Micron, an imported Italian spinning reel first brought to America around 1953, holds a place in fishing tackle history, as it was the first true ultra-light spinning reel. In the 1950's the reels actually sold for $35.00, expensive for that time! On the side of the reel is the patent 1N045.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 13, 2017 09:55PM

Right, Russell, pretty pricey for the 50's. I worked in a sporting goods store, and didn't take home much money. Took home a lot of fishing and hunting equipment, though. Including the two Microns.

Posted by: Jimmy Keener (---.237.235.68.dsl.brvdnc.dynamic.citcom.Net)
Date: June 15, 2017 03:42PM

Thanks guys but I must have posted something wrong. This is just the spinning rod. Not the reel or I haven't found that yet.

Date: June 15, 2017 03:44PM

Sorry about the email. I think I got that corrected.

Date: June 15, 2017 09:08PM

Jimmy, you said "rod" in your first post. Sorry, I just never heard of an Alcedo Micron rod, so assumed a reel. My bad, not yours.

Date: June 15, 2017 10:28PM

Thanks That makes me feel a little less dumb about it. I have looked all over to find info on it but evidently I'm not the only one who doesn't know. It's a really nice looking rod.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 16, 2017 07:38PM

My bad as well:)

Try this on for size:

Alcedo Micron Super-lite rod, made in the USA by Continental Arms of New York. Five and one-half feet 2-piece, super-Z size-matic ferrule with a rubber o-ring, 1 3/4 oz.

And this might make you very happy assuming Tom allows the link to this @#$%& site:
[]

In case the link is deleted here is a tease:
Up for bid is a VINTAGE Alcedo Micron UltraLite spin reel that is brand new, just missing the box. Does come with original leather pouch and original parts list. Reel has never been used or put on rod. Serial number on reel is CV-164. The reel fits the new 5-1/2 ft. two piece matching rod along with this combo. The rod is a VINTAGE Alcedo Micron SuperLite Handcrafted 5-1/2 ft. two piece, 1-7/8 oz. fiberglass rod. Manufactured by Continental Arms Corporation New York. This rod has also never been fished and comes with its original cloth bag. There is one other combo listed on @#$%& for two thousand, I am starting this bid at .99 with no reserve. Shipping costs include delivery confirmation and insurance, as well as packaging to securely deliver this rare and excellent combo. Add this combo to your collection. Shipping is only to the continental United States so please do not ask me to ship anywhere else or bid if you want this combo shipped outside the continental United States. If you are the winning bidder I ask that you leave positive feedback upon receiving this. Any other questions please feel free to email me.

Michael, too bad we didn't know it was the rod that would get the big bucks down the road! Or maybe it was having the combo? Been a long time but I seem to remember the reel being a little harder to work on than others of its time period.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster